Difference between Class 2 malocclusion and overbite ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

broochie

Difference between Class 2 malocclusion and overbite ?

#1 Post by broochie »

Hi all,

I've been a lurker on this board for some time now. I got my braces almost 3 months ago and I've learned a tremendous amount by reading your posts. Some of you are so savvy I'm impressed. It has helped me enormously starting this loooong journey. I have Damons M3X (not sure it's their name, but they are all metal) and they've never hurt me so far. I've never even used wax. Morally though, that's another story. I am still very self-conscious about them, and I am a really impatient patient !

Anyway, I had a question : from abundantly reading this forum and other stuff for the last 3 months, I now understand a lot more about teeth, bite, braces, etc. There is one thing I still don't understand thouh : I have class 2 malocclusion and an overjet (meaning my upper front teeth flare out some). But I also read that Class 2 was synonymous of overbite. isn't overbite when the central upper teeth substantially or totally cover the lower centrals ?

cmm1280

#2 Post by cmm1280 »

Great question Broochie! I would like to know the answer as well as I have the same diagnosis.

Anyone know the answer to this?

**Braced 22 months and 3 weeks. Estimated 24 months treatment time.

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

Well here is my uneducated opinion about this. Someone correct me if I am off base. You can have an overjet without having a class II. The Class II relationship refers to the relationship of your bite and your molars. You can have an overjet by just having your front teeth flared out but your bite can be perfect.

Also an overbite and an overjet are two different things. An overbite is the vertical relationship of your front top teeth to your lower front teeth. If you have an overbite when you bite down your front teeth would cover your lower teeth.

An overjet is how far your top fron teeth jet out horizontally from your lower teeth. Also known as buck teeth.

It is sometimes (or maybe most of the time) true that if you have a class II malocclusion your front teeth with overjet your bottom teeth. But you can have an overjet without a class II.

Hope this makes sense.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

broochie

#4 Post by broochie »

Thanks jcdamon3 for the explanation. What I am not getting is that sometimes, people refer to Class 2 as being equivalent to overbite. In my case, I have overjet (my top teeth flare out horizontally) and class 2 (referring to the molars relationship) but i DO NOT have overbite (my lower centrals are not covered by the uppers). I don't know if I am making much sense here.

phenyx

Underjet?

#5 Post by phenyx »

Is there such a thing as an underjet?

I too have a class two malocclusion - aka a very deep overbite. My lower incisors are completely covered by my uppers when I close my mouth (or when I could close my mouth anyway).

However, I have no overjet at all. In fact, my ortho says that my incisors are way *too* straight up and down and that stage 2 of my treatment (after the bite plate) is going to involve pulling them so they tilt forward at a proper angle.

jcdamon3

#6 Post by jcdamon3 »

Thanks jcdamon3 for the explanation. What I am not getting is that sometimes, people refer to Class 2 as being equivalent to overbite
I don't think there is a relationship there at all. Hmmmm. Just Class II and Overjet. I am wondering if they are getting the overbite and overjet mixed up? Sure with an ortho would speak up?

REgarding the underbite. I have a class I malocclusion and my teeth also were too straight up and down. This crowding in front was causing my bite in back not to meet correctly. Class I basically means the relationship is okay in the bite but it is still messed up. Which it was and still is! :-)
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

science teacher

malaclussion

#7 Post by science teacher »

I have a class 2 skeletal malaclusion (SP). My top jaw is too narrow for my bottom jaw which results in a cross bite. I don't have an overbite or overjet. I do have a slight open bite.

So I think a Malocclusion is how the top and bottom teeth fit on the sides and back.
Kim

vivi

#8 Post by vivi »

I also have a class II maloclusion... Did your ortho also recommended surgery? I am not having surgery (Way to expensive!) but today they gave me freaking elacstics to wear ...ugh I hate them!!!! Anyway I been braced for about 4 months and my teeth are straight now I used to have crowding in my upper and lower teeth. But the ortho says the overjet is going to stay the same. =(

rsprouse

#9 Post by rsprouse »

Is there such a thing as an underjet?
Kinda, it is known as negative overjet. Simply overjet where your mandibular incisors protrudes in front of the maxillary incisors.
I don't think there is a relationship there at all. Hmmmm. Just Class II and Overjet. I am wondering if they are getting the overbite and overjet mixed up? Sure with an ortho would speak up?
The "Class" of malocclusion simply means the relationship of the mesial buccal cusp of the maxillary first molar to the buccal groove of the mandibular first molar. Some say a Class I molar relationship is not a malocclusion, but it is a YMMV.
Class I - Max MB Cusp sits in the buccal groove of the Mand first molar
Class II - Retruded mandibule or protruded maxilla
Class III - Retruded maxilla or protruded mandible
REgarding the underbite. I have a class I malocclusion and my teeth also were too straight up and down. This crowding in front was causing my bite in back not to meet correctly. Class I basically means the relationship is okay in the bite but it is still messed up. Which it was and still is! :-)
You have an anterior interference preventing a proper bite, but your molar relationship is considered "ideal"

Regards,
Rory

broochie

#10 Post by broochie »

Funny how so many people seem wanting to avoid surgery at all costs. For me it was just the opposite. I literally BEGGED my ortho to have SARPE, whatever the pain, because I was so eager to speed things up. I have Class 2 malocclusion with some overjet (he didn't say how much, mild crowding in both arches and narrow arches on top and bottom.
Anyway, when I got the braces about three months ago, he said he'd decide whether or not I would get the SARPE a few months down the road. Now I am not so sure I still want it, because it appears that with Damon brackets (which I have) you don't need SARPE. I am wondering though if you can get as much expansion from ortho only as one would get with surgery.
My ortho told me that a few years ago, he treated two sisters who had the same problems as me. One had jaw surgery (SARPE) but the other would not hear about it, so she just got braces. A few years later, way after both had terminated treatment, he saw again the patient who did not have surgery, and her teeth were still perfect, had not moved at all. He would very much like to seem both of them now to compare how their mouth evolved (or not) since then, but unfortunately they moved and he's been unable to locate them.
Bottom line is, if he could see both sisters now, it would help him decide if he would just keep me in braces or have me have surgery instead. I even offered to try locate those two ladies but unfortunately, no success so far, and it seems it will be impossible since they have very very common names :cry:

broochie

#11 Post by broochie »

Meryaten, your pics are amazing ! May I ask you how long it took you to get this nice expansion ?
And I am amazed too at how savvy you are in ortho ! I read many of your posts, and I wonder where you get all this information. My ortho is surprised that in 3 months, I've learned a lot (much more, it seems, than most of his patients), and I don't even have half of your knowledge :wink:
Now for the expansion, I know that brackets are only tools in the hands of the ortho. But I kinda wanna convince myself that self-ligating braces are faster... Just my way of coping with things, I guess.