Mini Screw Going in Soon

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

Mini Screw Going in Soon

#1 Post by Chris »

Ok, I'm going in next week to get my ortho mini screw put in behind my last molar. Wish me luck! At this point I'm a bit scared that the surgeon will damage my nerve back there like when I had my wisdom tooth out and was numb for months! So please think positive thoughts my way and send me some good "karma"! I want to feel like everyone here is holding my hand during the procedure! (what a baby!) :lol:

P.S. for those of you wondering what this is; its for anchorage of elastics as I am orthodontically challenged in the back of my mouth (without my 1st molar and my 2nd molar is ailing). So this is my last hope of correcting my overjet and bringing my bite together. :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Attagirl2

#2 Post by Attagirl2 »

Will do Chris. Just think about all of us holding your hands while you are going through the procedure - could get mighty crowded in the surgical room! :dance:
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Zondrae

#3 Post by Zondrae »

I hope it all goes smoothly for you Chris. Good luck!

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I hope it all goes well for you. As a fellow mini-screw wearer I'm interested to hear about what your experience is like.

luv Lisa x

Clo

#5 Post by Clo »

Hi,

of course I want to hold your hand during this procedure !
But then you must allow me to have a good look when they do this. As micro
implants may be an option for me later on. You writing this 'orthodontically
challenged' is very well done. Only 2 words, but containing so many issues !
Don't worry though, it will be over before you know it. And there is plenty of
room there to place the screw. One problem though, you might get into trouble
when you want to take a flight. You may need to unscrew it and give it to security,
because so many bad things one can do with a little screw like that !

Just trying to cheer you up. All will go well. And you'll get that way one of the
best methods to retract teeth to correct overjet. You are privileged ...

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

Chris, the insertion procedure really isn't that bad. It didn't hurt at all when I had it done. The only reason I felt awful was because I'm very squeamish when it comes to things like that. :oops:

I'm sure the screw won't go anywhere near the nerve and they will soon be able to start moving that molar!

Sending you a cyber hand hold for next week :)

momof2grlz

#7 Post by momof2grlz »

Good luck, Chris! I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Kell

#8 Post by Kell »

Best of luck with the procedure. I hope all goes smoothly.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

macca

#9 Post by macca »

Good luck Chris with your mini-screw implant, hope all goes well.

I must admit I've got a vested interest in this. My orthodontist has told me I'm getting these on both sides of my lower jaw to help in closing the gaps where my first molars (the smallest ones) are missing. Can't get a date out of him yet, he's one of those that likes to surprise you!

For anyone else who's already got them, what is it like? Will I hate eating even more with them in? Do they just hang elastics off them or are there even nastier devices which they use?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Lisa65

#10 Post by Lisa65 »

Macca, I'll be able to give you a bit more info in a week or so when i next go to see my ortho. I had my screws done 6 weeks ago, but so far they are just sitting there doing nothing. They are in my palate so it's a bit more complex as mine will be used to move my whole top arch back - no small undertaking.

I think that when the screws are put on the outside purely for gap closing, they tend to use wire ties or elastics. The screw acts as an immovable anchor so that more force can be applied than would otherwise be possible.

macca

#11 Post by macca »

Hi Lisa65,
Thank you for your help, I hope it goes well for you next week if they activate your mini-screws. You're right, I think your case sounds a lot more complex. I would not fancy having them in the palatal area either, you are much braver than me!

My ortho hinted at my last appointment it was nearly time to have them put in (maybe just one side to start with), but I think it won't be until at least after my next appointment in 3 weeks.

My ortho mentioned this is a more recently adopted technique and without it I would have had no chance in what we are trying to achieve in my treatment. I feel a bit more comfortable about it knowing there is someone else out there going through this type of procedure.

rsprouse

#12 Post by rsprouse »

If a miniscrew is going anywhere near a nerve that would cause permanent paralysis then you have bigger problems than the loss of sensation. You should worry about other important things, like how you are going to pay for the treatment :wink:

Best,
Rory

Chris

#13 Post by Chris »

Rory, don't scare me!! :x

They have you sign a waiver you know, because the mandibular nerve is running along there. I've already got a painful TMJ joint there and I don't need anymore trouble!

Thanks guys, for all your well wishes!
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Chris

#14 Post by Chris »

Thats right, Mery. When I had my wisdom teeth removed I was numb for over 4 months on my lower lip and chin. The surgeon said thats considered a "bruised mandibular nerve" which one usually recovers from in that amount of time. Given my track record, I don't want that to happen again.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Joual

#15 Post by Joual »

Good luck Chris. I know what it's like to be scared to death of a necessary procedure. You're going to have an excellent bite soon! :D