Soon-To-Be-Braced Newbie, Would Love Advice (Pictures)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

GinaLime

Soon-To-Be-Braced Newbie, Would Love Advice (Pictures)

#1 Post by GinaLime »

Hi, everyone. I've been a lurker here for almost a year, and I want to thank you guys -- reading your posts has given me the courage to finally get "em-braced!" I just turned 24, and I am now financially secure enough to get braces. If y'alls don't mind, I'd like to ask for some (non-legally-binding!) advice. And I brought pictures!

Front view, open wiiiiiide!

I have a gummy smile, but that doesn't bother me too much -- at least, it doesn't bother me enough to get surgery for it! My real problem is an overjet (I'm not sure what MM), and bad lip incompetence. When I'm not talking and I don't make a conscious effort to close my mouth, my mouth just kinda hangs open. I can only keep my mouth closed for a few minutes at a time, and I've always been terribly self-conscious about it.

Side view

I went to an orthodontist recommended by my dentist. I was terrified that he would say multiple surgeries were my only answer, but he says that by 1) extracting four teeth 2) wearing headgear 3) braces for two years, it should move my top teeth and bottom teeth back enough so that I can close my mouth normally, mostly fix the overjet and fix the crookedness and crowding. He can't fix the gumminess without surgery (but I knew that).

Top teeth

He said surgery would fix the problems totally, but that we could get a good result without. I was really pleased! He gave me a total estimate of $5,000 for ceramic uppers and lowers, with an $800 down payment and 24 small installments. I told him I would think about it, and made a date to agree to the contracts and take records on Oct. 25. I also have appointments with a few other orthodontists, for more opinions, lined up for October.

Here are my questions:

1) With the condition of my teeth, does this seem like a practical course of action? I've already had my four wisdoms out. Since my upper jaw doesn't seem to be going anywhere, how can headgear, braces, and extractions (2 top, 2 bottom) push those awful upper teeth back without just tilting them in or creating a gap? I mean, the jawbone's not moving. I've read all of the excellent "Braces Basics" articles and am still not clear.

2) Will this is any way, shape or form make my teeth gummier? I can live with their current gumminess, but I don't want anymore!

3) How will this change my face? Will it look "sunken in" or "caved in" afterwards? I wouldn't want to look like a stranger!

I should have asked him these questions, and will ask the other doctors when I see them, but I was so excited about the idea of getting my teeth fixed that I plumb forgot.

Bottom Teeth

One last question -- how can I be sure my dentist is reputable? I'm new in the area, so I don't know any adults with braces to ask their opinions. All I'm going on is my dentist's recommendation. And I don't want to end up with a bad ortho. Any suggestions?

Again, thank you – I would never have made this decision if I hadn’t read about this site in a newspaper article. Thanks!

PS: Excuse bad pictures, my camera was misbehaving!
Last edited by GinaLime on Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joual

#2 Post by Joual »

I have the same problem - my mouth doesn't close unless I make a conscious effort to close it. I have an overbite/overjet on top and crowding on the bottom.

The solution for me is to have 4 extractions (premolars), wear a TPA instead of headgear, and braces for about 20 months.

I don't really know the answer to your 3 questions below. Some people here like the changes in their faces, a few don't, and some see no change at all.

To find a reputable ortho, my only suggestion is to make sure they're listed on http://www.braces.org/locatoragreement.cfm.

paulosportz

#3 Post by paulosportz »

wow! i with i had teeth like that initally. i wouldnt have got braces at all

good luck with your journey

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi GinaLime and welcome. :-1 You have very nice looking teeth. I can imagine you are going to have a dynomite smile when all is said and done. As for your gummy smile, I was wondering if after you have you overjet fixed, your smile won't be as big, since you are not having your upper lip pushed up over your overjet.... Just was wondering. Maybe you could ask at your consults.

Sorry, I can't help you with the other questions, since I did not have to have as much work done to my mouth as you will have done.

My best wishes to you on your journey.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

GinaLime

#5 Post by GinaLime »

Hi, all! Thank you SO MUCH for your thoughtful responses -- it helped me gather my thoughts for the trip to the ortho. Well, orthos. I ended up having five (five!) different consultations with five different orthodontists (I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, so lots of choices). 4 out of 5 dentists agreed: I have bimaxillary protrusion, with a 4 MM overjet, which can be treated effectively with 4 extractions, braces for 2 years, and headgear at night to help push the protruding top teeth back.

And thanks for the kind words -- I'm not used to hearing ANYTHING good about my teeth! Y'alls made my day. :D I felt really great when one orthodontist commented that my jaw alignment looks good, and my chin is in the right place. Faint praise but ... I'll grab it!

The fifth dentist told me I had an 8 MM overjet (odd when the the other doctors said I only had a 4MM), and that she would only extract one tooth from the top right. When I tentatively asked whether taking out just one tooth would throw my alignment off, she got annoyed at me and wouldn't give me a straight answer! I couldn't get away from that lady fast enough!

Again, thank you so much for the feedback, it really got me sorted out. The orthodontists kept asking me how I knew to ask such informed questions. I was like, "Um, internet?" Here's some of the response to questions 2 and 3: No, it won't make me gummier, and it might actually help out the gummy a little bit since the lips won't be straining as much (nice one, attagirl2!). Facially, it shouldn't look "sunken in" since some of the back teeth will be moving forward a bit as the front teeth go back. The ortho I ultimately chose to go with had several before-and-afters of his patients with bimaxillary protrusion extraction treatment, and the effect looks good.

I was a little nervous about getting extractions, and was thinking about getting more consultations, but I guess 4 out of 5 orthodontists is a pretty good number. And they were all listed on braces.org (except the easily angered fifth ortho), and I've checked on their credentials and made sure they're not fly-by-night dental disasters! Again, thanks all -- wouldn't be taking this orthodontic journey without this site. I'll do my best to keep updated, with pictures! I've already taken records, and my next appointment is in two weeks!