Found my ortho, got my spacers, b-day is Oct. 4th!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NatalieMac

Found my ortho, got my spacers, b-day is Oct. 4th!!

#1 Post by NatalieMac »

Consulted with my third orthodontist today. He is GREAT!!!!

I am getting ceramics, top and bottom. Treatment time is 18-24 months. No expanders. No head gear. Two extractions after the braces go on.

I let him know that I was really nervous and let him know that I was a scaredy-cat who didn't go to the dentist for 12 years out of fear and that knowing EVERYTHING that was going to happen would make me feel better. He spread the word. Every staff member that I dealt with today was patient and answered all kinds of questions and spent lots of time explaining everything to me. Everyone was super nice and introduced themsevles to me. The man who did the impressions spent a good five minutes explaining how it worked and showing me the trays, etc. It was so sweet.

I feel sooooo much better after talking to everyone there this morning.

So, my mouth is feeling a little funny. The spacers have been in about two hours now. The man who did those told me I'd probably be sore starting later today or tomorrow and not to eat anything crunchy. Good thing I finished the end of the Rosencrunch and Guildenpop last night. ;-)

Ok. Here we go.

iBorg

B day set!

#2 Post by iBorg »

Congrats and good luck! Start eating all those foods on your orthos do not eat list. Some you'll miss and some you'll not care about. Plan ahead. I found flossing to be a big issue so I bought an endless supply of floss aids. You might need to do the same.

Your attitude sounds great. I believe that is the key to making this process tolerable if not enjoyable.

Enjoy the ride.....you're getting ready to change your life in a way that should be significantly better.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

SDFD TSchott

#3 Post by SDFD TSchott »

NatalieMac Congrats on going down the road of ortho treatment, 12 years sounds like a long time but hey as long as you hop over your fears and go back to seeing a dentist every 6 months then your set to go.

I've been in braces for 23 days and already experienced a split lip from dry lips and braces so as Kiwi says to everyone.

*Lots of Lip Balm*
*Drink lots of water*
*Go to the bathroom before getting braced to make the phase easier*
*Salt water Rinses to toughn up your mouth*

Think theres more but I'm sure Kiwi will post again here :-#)

SDFD TSchott
Code 4

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

Great news that you have found an ortho with a team who's sympathetic to your anxiety Natalie.

Spacers are generally the most uncomfortable part of treatment. They may well feel sore for a few days but it does get better honestly.

Look forward to hearing more about your progress!

Joual

#5 Post by Joual »

Congratulations NatalieMac! That's great that the staff is so nice.

I ate crunchy food when I was in spacers. :? I only had them for a week. I tried eating trail mix (ouch!) and Cheez-Its (ouch!).

NatalieMac

#6 Post by NatalieMac »

Well, if the spacers are the worst part, then I'm not too worried. I'm sore and tender, but I can live with it. I found a couple things today that were too uncomfortable to eat, but I certainly didn't go hungry today.

missing_tooth

#7 Post by missing_tooth »

Welcome aboard. I want to warn you time will fly though, I feels like it was just weeks ago I was braces.

- Missing Tooth -