Has your face changed?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sherri

Has your face changed?

#1 Post by Sherri »

Has any one noticed their face has changed at all with braces? My face seems to have gotten wider and flattened out more around my mouth. so i don't have that kind of chimp look :lol: to my mouth. Also when I had pictures in the past one eye always looked a little crooked and that has gone. I think braces have changed my face for the better. I was worried because I had three extractions and didn't want my face to look all sunken.

butterfly

#2 Post by butterfly »

Yes my face changed!

My whole mouth got wider as my crowded teeth ligned up. (Treated non-extraction, had an expander.) My chin moved forward. My lips are fuller now (especially with braces still in), and even my nose looks different.

People say my pre braces passport picture looks a bit weird. (Which apparently added to the trouble I got into when I was flying one way to Israel using an internet ticket :shock: :shock: :P :P )
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

Dramagyrl

#3 Post by Dramagyrl »

People are starting to notice my facial changes now, and I'm sure there will still be more.

I'm finally starting to have a chin (not that I totally didn't have one before, it was just way further back than anyone realized until it started changing), my jawline is becoming more prominant and my double-chin is gone. My top lip is filling out to match the one on the bottom and my mouth might be a bit wider- I know my face looks a bit longer and slimmer when it used to be so round.

They are all still very subtle changes, and very good ones.

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Yes mine has changed some. My jawline is a bit more pronounced and my cheeks are not as "puffy" for lack of a better term. Because I had to have elastics to pull up one side of my jaw and a little to straighten both sides, my face looks thinner. People ask me if I have lost weight. I though my upper lip looked thiner, but checking in our bathroom mirror (the triple kind), I compared it to the original pictures the orthodontist took, and it is the same.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

sjsarre

#5 Post by sjsarre »

I have lost nearly four stone over the past 5 years but not in the past year if you get my drift!!!

However several people have recently asked me if I have lost more weight as my face appears thinner and more defined.. I haven't lost any so I guess the movement of my teeth has something to do with it!

Dramagyrl

#6 Post by Dramagyrl »

I firgot to mention the weight part too. Many people have asked if I've lost weight and said specifically that my face looks thinner.

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

I can't notice anything different, but a friend who saw me a couple of months ago said my face had changed.

iBorg

#8 Post by iBorg »

So there's hope for me?

The picture may remind you of Alf, but there's a close resemblance.

Seriously, my bottom jaw seems to have receded as my overbite has increased. I can only hope that getting my bite correct will make an improvement in my jaw line.

Mike
Last edited by iBorg on Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Joanna20

#9 Post by Joanna20 »

Hummm My face is a little bit different, I haven't had extractions but hopefully my face will change for the better... I wouldn't look good of my face was thiner!!! What has to be done in my case to flater the area around my mouth and hopefully that will make my chin a little bit more proeminent.
We should all remember that our face changes over the years. With or without braces... it's called getting older!!!
:wink:
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

CLAmom

#10 Post by CLAmom »

Mine is definitely more angular. I have also lost quite a bit of weight so I can't tell for sure how much of the change is due to braces & how much from having less fat on the bones. Overall I look okay but my chin is even pointier than it used to be and I don't like that. My husband has the opposite problem with a receding chin. He has chin envy.

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Mmmmuuaa

#11 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

Wow, I never even thought that my face might change! I only hoped for a nicer smile. Though I sure hope that my bite improving will make my chin look more prominent. Front view is fine but I don't like my profile. Well this is exciting and I hope to also see some facial changes. Fuller lips would be nice. I'm not having extractions so I was hoping for a big 'hollywood' style smile. I'll have to wait and see.

iBorg

#12 Post by iBorg »

Mmmmuuaa you may be hoping for that big "Hollywood smile", I'd love for my teeth to show when I smile. They do now but I think its just my lips clearing my brackets.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

simplywired

#13 Post by simplywired »

I was noticing today that one side of my upper arch is "rounding" faster than the other and that my top lip looks fuller - on one side. So now I have a crooked smile. Hopefully the other side will start to move soon :!:

Ronsie

#14 Post by Ronsie »

I've only just had my first adjustment but my doctor extracted my second bicuspids (rather than the first) to (as she said) avoid a resulting flat face. It kind of scared me when she told me that. And those were some of my best-looking teeth (nice white fillings)!

juf_84

#15 Post by juf_84 »

I haven't noticed a big change yet but at my consult, my ortho did say he was going to give me a really nice profile. Which is great because I don't like my face side on! I can't wait to see some big changes :-)
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!