Does everyone's teeth move at the same rate???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

turrrtlelove22

Does everyone's teeth move at the same rate???

#1 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

I was just curious if anyone knew this or not. We dont' all have the same bone density for sure. So does that make a difference in rate at which teeth move? Is it easier to close space or to undo crowdedness....(is that even a word?) Does anyone get done before they are suppossed to? I bet they are left on anyways tho...???
LiFe iS A HoOt iF You arE aN oWL...O.o

Sept. 28 ~ Consult with Orthodontist
Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

niknikc

#2 Post by niknikc »

A friend of mine in high school had an estimate of 18 months when she first had her braces put on. Well, lucky her, she had her braces off in only about 12 months and hasn't had any problems that I know of. That's the only case that I know of personally. :D

Kodius Champion

#3 Post by Kodius Champion »

There is a 'rule of thumb' re tooth movement ... which I can't remember but it's so much per month.
For some reason, 1 mm/month rings a bell ...

turrrtlelove22

#4 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

Thanks to alll. Very interesting tidbits of info...**^^**
LiFe iS A HoOt iF You arE aN oWL...O.o

Sept. 28 ~ Consult with Orthodontist
Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

rsprouse

#5 Post by rsprouse »

There is a 'rule of thumb' re tooth movement ... which I can't remember but it's so much per month.
For some reason, 1 mm/month rings a bell ...
Actually 0.5-1.0 mm/month of movement is considered "safe". This varies from patient to patient and situation to situation. But as a generalization that can be your number.

Regards,
Rory

mandaluv

#6 Post by mandaluv »

i just got some springs put in to space out my lower crowding and i'm pretty sure that one of my teeth moved 1mm in one day! 2 hours after the appointment to be exact!! i have a gap now. it makes flossing easier i guess... is it normal for this to happen from time to time or should i expect my tooth to be falling out any day now?
[/url]

GemGal

#7 Post by GemGal »

My orthodontist told me that maintaining your gums and keeping them healthy (i.e. Flossing) plus warm liquids will promote faster movement.

sjsarre

#8 Post by sjsarre »

I had a 2 mm gap appear in my left top lateral 24hours after my last adjustment, so I think it varies quite dramatically!!

Gennel

#9 Post by Gennel »

I think it also varies and I've read in many sites that up to 1mm is usually what you should expect. Even though my teeth move slower than my daughter's , they moved more than I expected in 3 1/2 months! I had gaps about 7mm from extractions and the gap has closed about 6mm in 3 1/2 months so the powerchains are off for that gap now. My daughter just had a bracket tied to the archwire with some clear type of string. Within 24 hrs it's moved so much that it's already close enough to be engaged to the archwire! So that little string is loose and wobbly now,but her tooth is sure hurting now!

Gennel

mandaluv

#10 Post by mandaluv »

speaking of pain, it has been 4 days since the adjustment that caused 1mm+ movement and both my upper and bottom roots are still ACHING! like i said before, i have 3 springs at the bottom to correct crowding and my ortho gave me what he called "a much stronger archwire" (this time a square one) to correct minor, but stubborn overcrowding on the top. i had to eat "campbell's soup at hand" today and if i want a nutrigrain bar (so soft already), i have to dissolve it in my mouth. none of my adjustments have ever been this bad!
[/url]