How far back do your bands go? (If you have them)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

turrrtlelove22

How far back do your bands go? (If you have them)

#1 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

I meant to ask my orthodontist this. And will next time I go in. I'm not even sure she said that I will have them. But how far back do your bands/braackets go? and what of the teeth behind the bands? Do they eventually get pulled ? I was told I wouldnt need any right away, but there is a possibilty somewhere near the end of treatment. I was just curious on how far back they go and who has bands or not. I did read somewhere on here that it makes a difference on whether you have cavitites on those teeth or not. are there and other exceptions?
LiFe iS A HoOt iF You arE aN oWL...O.o

Sept. 28 ~ Consult with Orthodontist
Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

I have bands at the bottom on the teeth next to the back ones. The back ones will be either banded or bracketed at some point because they need to be straightenend and brought into the arch eventually.

At the top, I believe the 2 backmost ones on each side are going to be banded.

ileftmyheartincolorado

#3 Post by ileftmyheartincolorado »

I have molar bands on all 4 bottom molars, and the molars that are 1 in from the back on the top. So all but my very back top molars are either banded or bracketed :) I don't really even notice them anymore. No pain, no pokies in the mouth...just frustrating after I get done eating and use the waterpik...amazing how much junk is stuck in there!! :)

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

I have brackets back to second molars on top and bottom. Those 2nd molars were tied into the arch for a short time (about 12 weeks) and I had elastics on them for about as long but now they're done.

My youngest daughter had banded brackets ONLY on her 1st molars. Skipping entirely her 1st and 2nd pre molars.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

WhiteLurcher

#5 Post by WhiteLurcher »

I have bands on all eight molars and brackets on my wisdom teeth, I haven't got a single tooth that isn't wired! :tingrin:
I already have an open bite, only my wisdom teeth meet, so it hasn't made too much off a difference really!

You get use to them, and being so far back you don't have to worry about trying to get wax to stick cause it gets wedged on through lack of space! :lol:

jaswi

#6 Post by jaswi »

I only have tops at this point, all the way back except wisdoms.

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

All my teeth are bracketed bar one wisdom tooth. I do not have molar bands.

turrrtlelove22

#8 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

hhmmm...do they ever band or bracket wisdom teeth at some point? Like if they are crooked? They are so far back i guess it doesnt matter tho...? :?:

Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

samantha_lou

#9 Post by samantha_lou »

I am assuming that my second molars will be included in my future treatment, as one of my second molars is really weirdly tilted compared to the first molar now - I'll have to try and get a photo of it, but its nasty and I'm very not happy!! lol My ortho just laughs and says "well, nothing is in the right place at the moment", and I'm like "doh" I'm not an ortho and I can see that!!

I've only noticed it since my expander came off, but its concerning because I assume that second molars aren't generally treated...but something will need to be done about mine!! :lol:

lionfish

#10 Post by lionfish »

turrrtlelove22, one of my lower wisdom teeth is bracketed. As the one on the other side was too far back to bracket and was getting in the way of closing my bite, it bit the dust.

stargirl

#11 Post by stargirl »

I have normal brackets on all of my teeth, and bands just on my 1st molars.

My second molars are left naked, and will not be treated at all. The ones on the lower arch actually look quite nicely in line anyways, however my upper second molars are kind of crazy and tilted outwards! :shock:

I really don't mind... they're so far back that no one but your dentist will ever see them!

turrrtlelove22

#12 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

Wow everyone is so completely different. I will ask whn I re-schedule my appt. after I get all my dental work done. My bite in the back is where they are supposed to be even tho they are kind of crooked (in my opinion)...lol. My teeth are flared in the front on the top and the bottom with lots of loverly big spaces. And and even bigger gap...bleh. I just so anxious having to wait...lol. I want to hurry uo and get it over with...

Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

Anticipator

#13 Post by Anticipator »

I have brackets top and bottom all the way to the second molars. Had my wisdom teeth pulled a few years prior to braces. Several of mine were too impacted to have been straightened though so I doubt they would've been bracketed.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

niknikc

#14 Post by niknikc »

I have 4 bands, one on each molar on the the top. I'll have 4 more bands when I get my bottom braces on each molar there and I had all my wisdom teeth removed 4 years ago so I know where you're coming from WhiteLurcher! I'm completely wired on top and will be on bottom!
"Blessed are the peacekeepers for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9

Top Braces: 9-26-06
Bottom Braces: 11-29-06

jeniwan

#15 Post by jeniwan »

I have 8 molar bands - 1 on each of the molars farthest back on each side on top, and 1 on each of the 3 farthest back, each side, on the bottom. My bottom teeth were much more crowded... I wonder if that's why I have so many more on the bottom? I keep meaning to ask my ortho about the set up, but I keep forgetting.