Makeover Shows - here's one tragedy

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

Makeover Shows - here's one tragedy

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

You should read the entire article, it's quite shocking.

The thing she was most ashamed of was her teeth. They dropped her as a partipant on the show because her jaw surgery would be too complicated and time consuming for their production. Now she is mourning the loss of her sister -- who committed suicide because she was goaded into saying horrible things about her "ugly" sister.

A very sad story, indeed. Just reinforces my belief that the reality tv shows are inherently evil.

http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/1006/e ... tml?page=1
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

schoolglue

#2 Post by schoolglue »

:( What a horrible ordeal for her and her family.

I can't imagine what its like to be promised a life change like that and then have someone tell you 'sorry, its too much time for our scedule'. Its a shame when things go wrong like that.

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

Humiliating and disgusting, but will it provide a reality check to the people who make these horrible TV shows? Probably not.

simplywired

#4 Post by simplywired »

Couldn't agree with you more - tv "reality" shows are ridiculous and I refuse to watch them. Hopefully, this awful trend has or will soon run its course.

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

One day in the future, our children will be watching VH1 and "I Love the "00's" will come on. They will talk about low-cut jeans, Bratz dolls, the Sims, MySpace, camera phones, Green Day, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire....and hey....remember "reality TV?"

I also refuse to watch any of that rubbish. And I discourage my kids from watching it. It's the biggest bunch of junk to ever hit the tube, IMO. Most of it is so contrived, it's ridiculous. What's even more ridiculous is that people actually volunteer to appear and risk eternal humiliation (because nowadays, no media clip or show ever goes away). As if Jerry Springer isn't bad enough....

Anyone seen the film Network? Sometimes I think it was a prophecy.

To quote the film: I'm mad as hell....and I'm not gonna take it anymore!
Last edited by bbsadmin on Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

xtrememkovr

#6 Post by xtrememkovr »

I have had similar feelings about reality shows. I also wonder what kinds of messages it sends to our kids. Something about "instant" gratification - instead of hard work. IE: diets where people lose 8 lbs in a week and think they have failed VS weight watchers or other diets that encourage people to lose a healthy 2-3 lbs a week in a healthy do-able way.

We just seem to be so impatient lately - and so caught up in instant happiness at whatever cost we can get. I remember when seeing surgery on tv was extreme - now it just seems normal and every day.

Also - people want EXTREME cases. They want people who need to lose weight - but they want Morbidly OBESE people. They want people who need surgery - but they often want the more EXTREME cases of "disfigurement" to operate on. So what an absolute downer to be told that your EXTREME case is too extreme. That has to feel lousy as he**.

X.

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

It all boils down to the ratings.

If nobody watched these stupid shows the statistics would be bad, companies wouldn't advertise, and the shows would be cancelled.

I'm hoping that they become passe' soon, just like big hair and leggings did in the 80s.

There are some reality-type shows that are fun to watch and don't hurt anybody. Pimp My Ride and Trick My Truck are amusing. The home makeover shows are usually OK (although usually quite unrealistic in their timeframes and money spent).

But the ones that exploit people -- those are the worst. Surgery is no walk in the park. It's almost like selling your soul to the devil, appearing on those shows....

GemGal

#8 Post by GemGal »

bbsadmin wrote: It's almost like selling your soul to the devil, appearing on those shows....
I absolutely agree, but I find myself being one of those people slowing down to look at an accident on the highway. Sometimes, you can't help but watch. I know, it's awful, but I'm a Reality T.V. show junkie.

lesdents

#9 Post by lesdents »

Another thing I find particularly atrocious on those shows is that they give ALL the women these HUGE breast implants. It's SO sexist and gross, and it doesn't even look good. AND, they give all the "ethnic" women nose jobs, because it's not OK to look non-white!

Plus, for time reasons, they all get veneers to hide their crooked teeth instead of really fixing them. I'm not fundamentally opposed to veeners or anything, it's just that they're all these quick fixes that are not necessarily what's really best.

I hate those shows, and will never participate by watching. I went to a film screening and discussion about The Swan the other day, and one of the women from it was there. She looked scary, and the implants they gave her were so big, they made her look overweight. I just don't understand why people are willing to do such extreme things to themsevles to fulfill unreasonable standards of beauty.

Joual

#10 Post by Joual »

These shows just care about ratings and making characters out of the people on them. It's terrible that they made her family say those things about her.

drazda

#11 Post by drazda »

Did the sister really feel the need to kill herself and leave her children behind because of some silly comments she made? Sad story, but the sister must have had serious issues to begin with.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!