I am my ortho's hero !

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

broochie

I am my ortho's hero !

#1 Post by broochie »

When I got braced over 3 months ago, my ortho was wondering if I would need surgery or not (SARPE and/or LeFort I osteotomy). I was very much in favor of surgery if it could speed up the process. While discussing the options, he happened to tell me that a few years back, he treated two sisters who had ortho problems similar to mine. One of them he treated with ortho and surgery, but the second one refused surgery and therefore had only ortho. He told me he was upset at her then, because he thought she was wrong to refuse the surgery. Anyway, he mentioned that he would love to seem both of them again, to see how their teeth had evolved, and it would also help him come up with a decision for my own case. Unfortunately, he treated several years ago. Since then, they have relocated and has not been able to retrace them.

I offered to try and find them myself. He agreed to give me their names. His secretary was very dubious, and I must say I was too when I got their names. It's a very, very common name here in Canada. So I just gave up before even starting. But after a few weeks, I thought I'd give it a shot, what had I got to lose ? So I went on the online phonebook and typed all people by this name, in my city only there are more than 250!

I started calling the numbers, and after about 120 calls, I found a person who said she had nieces with these names, but not their numbers, and they lived in the outside of the city, and there are many suburbs. To make a long story short, about 20 or so calls later, I found the one who did not have surgery ! Needless to say I was thrilled ! She was very nice, said she was very happy with her treatment and sent me pictures, and indeed she has a gorgeous smile. She gladly agreed for the ortho to contact her and see her again if needed. Thumbs up to her !

So at my next appointment, I brought the pictures to my ortho. He didn't click immediately, because, as I then found out, he has treated those two sisters 28 years ago ! And I thought it was only about ten years ! Had I known, I wouldn't have even bothered to look, as it would have been looking for a needle in a haystack !

Anyway, the ortho said I made his day. He said : "You are like me, you never give up, you are a winner!" The whole office staff couldn't believe it. Guess I earned some VIP status there by now :P

braced4asmile

#2 Post by braced4asmile »

Wow! 120+ phone calls! All I can say is WOW!

That's awesome! Your persistence paid off! Great detective work -- hope your find helps speed up your treatment! :banana:

Anxious to be debanded 4/23/08!

starryadora

#3 Post by starryadora »

haha That is amazing! TOTALLY sounds like something i would do! lol

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~

Xero

#4 Post by Xero »

That's incredible! In 28 years, they could be anywhere in the world. You either have great luck or great detective skills. :)
About three years since being braced. Changed ortho twice, so it's hard to keep track.

A very special thanks to KK & linda21 for constantly reading my log. Thanks!

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

OMG, that is an awesome story. Just want to mention in the US that would never happen prbobably due to privacy laws.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Gennel

#6 Post by Gennel »

Wow that is soooo cool! I have done things like that when I really ,really wanted . It is awesome that you found them and I'm sure you have earned the VIP treatment at your ortho's for sure!

Gennel

GrillCheese

#7 Post by GrillCheese »

You're very determined!
jcdamon3 wrote:OMG, that is an awesome story. Just want to mention in the US that would never happen prbobably due to privacy laws.
Actually Canada has privacy laws as well and I'm pretty sure your ortho could end up in some trouble for giving out those names - if the patients were upset about it.

broochie

#8 Post by broochie »

Guess apart from that VIP status I probably have gained a reputation as an obsessive freak... which I totally am! But in the end it was not too complicated, and took about 4 hours of my time over 3 or 4 days, so that's not too bad. And my motto is : if you want an information bad enough, and it's available somewhere out there, as long as you don't do anything offending morals to get it, go for it !

Now jcdamon and Grillchese, on the law aspects, you guys freak me out and make me sound like a stalker ! My ortho didn't mean bad, and of course neither did I. He refused to disclosed any detail other than their names and APPROXIMATE age. He didn't even tell me this happened almost 30 years ago! Now one might argue that even that was too much. Anyway, it was all done in good faith. And when I found this lady, I was extremely careful to explain it all and that in no way was I to disrupt her privacy. Had she mentioned in any way that she didn't want to be bothered or did not wish to discuss this any further, of course I would have apologized for the trouble and left her alone. And I was also careful to ask her consent to give her new name/address/phone/email/pictures to the ortho. I would never had taken the liberty to do so without her permission. Fortunately in Canada, most people are a lot less litigious than in the States. There is such thing as common sense here.[/u]