coke cola? yes or no?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Amy19

coke cola? yes or no?

#1 Post by Amy19 »

Hey

i was wondering when you have braces on do you have to totally illuminate fizzy drinks from your diet?? because i drink 2 litres of coke a day, and i dont think i will be able to live with out my fizzy friend for a year LOL

ive heard some horror stories like the braces rust? or the brackets fall off? i'm thinking i will be able to get passed this problem by drinking with a straw lol :lol: :banana:

Amy x

iBorg

#2 Post by iBorg »

The problem is the sugar causing decay. If you drink that much cola in a day, you really need to either brush after every drink or switch to sugar free. There are numerous references available under the theme of "sip all day...get tooth decay."

I know it's hard, but I was able to adjust.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

You drink two litres of coke a day????? How do you sleep at night? You may seriously want to consider reducing your intake on health grounds alone.

Joel-

#4 Post by Joel- »

:shock: 2 liters a day! :shock:

Ronsie

#5 Post by Ronsie »

Dear Amy,

I was a full time coke addict myself (coca cola!) but i've had braces for a month and have managed to replace the coke with water. I sip water all day now. You can do it! Even beyond braces, the acid and sugar will ruin your teeth--take it from someone who has been drinking coke for years! It is not worth it.

Good luck!

GemGal

#6 Post by GemGal »

I'm having the same trouble. I'm interested to know if this includes even diet sodas???

Jillianleab

#7 Post by Jillianleab »

I used to drink a lot more soda in a day than I do after being braced (didn't drink 2 liters a day, tho!). I mostly drink water now, because I noticed the brackets sticking to the inside of my mouth as I was dehydrated. Drinking water throughout the day has really helped this problem, and i can always tell when I haven't had enough and need to step it up.

It would probably be wise to cut back on your soda consumption for health reasons, but it won't have any adverse effects on your actual ortho treatment. As mentioned, the excess sugar and acid on your teeth promotes decay, which can be compounded with the brackets trapping things, but your brackets won't actually fall off. In other words, you will probably still have the same result at the end of your treatment, but you might have a mouth full of cavities!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

SDFD TSchott

#8 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I've gone from 1 liter a day to maybe one 6oz or whatever the size of the cans are a day.

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Ravishing

#9 Post by Ravishing »

Pepsi Jazz is sugar free. This doesn't fix the acidity problem but it at least cuts out the sugar.

My husband and I have switched to drinking a lot of Crystal Light. Its sugar free, tastes good and you still get the benefits of drinking water.
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!

CLAmom

#10 Post by CLAmom »

I drink 2 cans of diet coke just about every day. It's probably not the best thing on earth for your teeth but it's one of my few vices. I think the sugary stuff is pretty hard on your teeth. I'd say brush often if you want to keep drinking that much coke. :D

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Amy19

#11 Post by Amy19 »

ewww i hate diet, i cant get it down lol

hopefully getting braced will cut down my habit down, maybe to only 1 litre a day, and im hoping i will stop biting my nails as well!

i didnt think that drinking that much coke was hurting my teeth, i thought i was doing well because i only just had my first cavity last month, but i guess when u get 1 they all start! lol

thanks for the replies everyone, you have helped a lot

Amy x

SDFD TSchott

#12 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Hey no problem glad that we can help, lol as for drinking soda and cutting back yeah I'm sure braces will help you out a little as it did for me I used to drink alot of soda but I'm down to one can a day now.

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008