Bonding...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

Bonding...

#1 Post by newmetal »

What is it???? People say you can have it to fix chips....but doesnt this mean your teeth will have a two tone colour where the tooth finishes and the bond starts?

Many Thanks

GemGal

#2 Post by GemGal »

Initially, when I bonded my front tooth it didn't have that discoloration, but as I drank coffee and smoked (i'm an exsmoker now), the color didn't match exactly to the rest of my teeth. It didn't seem noticeable to most people, but I could tell and that was the most annoying part.

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

Bonding is just white filling matched to your teeth color.
Its true, it does stain. General dental cleaning makes them match again.
If you want to whiten your teeth, be aware that the bonding doesn't whiten. So you may want to whiten first, then bond, but you will need to whiten regularly so that they match.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

rsprouse

#4 Post by rsprouse »

Chris wrote:Bonding is just white filling matched to your teeth color.
If you want to whiten your teeth, be aware that the bonding doesn't whiten. So you may want to whiten first, then bond, but you will need to whiten regularly so that they match.
Chris,

The composite material (tooth colored/bonding/filling/whatever you want to call it) does not stain or change color. It is your natural tooth that is being stained and changing color. You are correct, whitening does not effect composite materials, so if you have a good match today it is possible it won't look good in the future. Bonding is great for closing a diastema or changing the shape of a front tooth. But is not good at hiding stain or color or for doing anything bite related.

Regards,
Rory

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

Chris wrote:Bonding is just white filling matched to your teeth color.
Chris,

The composite material (tooth colored/bonding/filling/whatever you want to call it) does not stain or change color. It is your natural tooth that is being stained and changing color. You are correct, whitening does not effect composite materials, so if you have a good match today it is possible it won't look good in the future. Bonding is great for closing a diastema or changing the shape of a front tooth. But is not good at hiding stain or color or for doing anything bite related.

Regards,
Rory
Rory, that is what I MEANT to say...the natural teeth stain so the bonding looks off color. :oops:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007