Have you heard of this

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dymond25

Have you heard of this

#1 Post by dymond25 »

At my initial consultation my Ortho's assistant were saying that they do not put brackets on the back teeth. What does that mean exactly? I realize that I have a lot of questions for them at my next appt.? Is this a good or bad thing?

GemGal

Re: Have you heard of this

#2 Post by GemGal »

Hello! I don't have brackets on the back of my teeth either. I from pics of seen on this site, it's fairly common. Hope that eases your mind!

XOXO
GemGal

juf_84

#3 Post by juf_84 »

Hi dymond25!

My upper 2nd molars aren't banded but my lower 2nd molars are... so even there are lots of possibilities, as Meryaten has said, your ortho may band the back teeth, he may not include them at all, or he may only include some!

Hope this helps.
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

dymond25

#4 Post by dymond25 »

Thanks Everyone,

Where can I view pictures of this? So does this make eating easier?

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

dymond25 wrote: So does this make eating easier?
Don't know, as all my teeth bar one are bracketed (I don't have molar bands). I'll tell you one thing, though, the more teeth covered in bands/brackets, the more time you spend flossing!!

lisab

#6 Post by lisab »

It makes eating SO much easier, as you can chew on the back teeth fairly easily. I am very grateful to not have brackets back there!

Attagirl2

#7 Post by Attagirl2 »

My second molars were not bracketed until about the 6th month when I noticed that one of them was turning out of alignment. The orthodontist then bracketed all of them.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

gunter8888

#8 Post by gunter8888 »

I am no doctor and I can't even recall where I heard this, so take it with a grain of salt. I read/heard that the very back molars tend to "go along for the ride" with the teeth immediately in front of them. If that is true, it would explain not bracketing the back molars.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

spimpy

#9 Post by spimpy »

I've been braced for 7 months now and at my next appointment in November, my ortho said to plan for a 45 minute treatment time since he'll be placing brackets on my back teeth.

You're right though, I'm sure flossing will take longer, but I DO believe that these brackets will be necessary.

I've noticed that the molars WITHOUT the brackets are NOT AT ALL in alignment with the rest of my arch. I'm sure that will be fixed.

dymond25

#10 Post by dymond25 »

This is an interesting topic...now I am thinking that it may be a bad thing not to get my back teeth bracket, due the whole out of alignment deal.