Do molar bands hurt?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jbjalways

Do molar bands hurt?

#1 Post by jbjalways »

Do molar bands hurt when they are first put in? I have eight spacers in between my molars as of 10/4. On 10/11 they are supposed to remove them and put in the molar bands.

Does it hurt? I'm wondering if there is enough room between the molars with spacers only in for a week. Though I am quite happy to get rid of the spacers :lol:

They told me not to use the waterpik between the spacers or floss so I'm feeling "dirty" right now.

7/7/06 Damon 3's on top, Damon 2's on bottom
03/18/08 Naked

Gennel

#2 Post by Gennel »

The molar bands do not hurt your molars. They come in different sizes and your ortho will try a few and slip on the right size for your molar. It sort of feels like putting on a tight ring on your finger. They sort of rock it back and forth until it goes above the gumline. Mine were a bit of a problem because my lower molars are very tilted inward facing my tongue. If your ortho does not plan to use the cleats/hooks that will face your tongue. You can ask him/her to close them or press them down so they won't scrape your tongue. I got used to them except for when I eat. I do have to put wax during meal times.

Gennel

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Mine don't hurt. As long as your teeth aren't too tipped (because then they can dig into your gum and make it sore) they should be OK.

You might need wax for a while on the buccal tubes because they stick out quite a long way and will irritate your cheeks at first.

juf_84

#4 Post by juf_84 »

The worst part of my experience so far was getting the molar bands! It felt like they were ripping into my gums, and everytime the assistant pulled them off (while she was fitting them) it felt as though my teeth were going to come out with them.

But it was 5 minutes of pain and they certainly don't bother me at all now. Remember that it is different for everyone- most people I have talked to hated getting molds but that didn't bother me at all.
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

Make sure you floss and brush good in and between the molar bands because they don't go right to the gumline and it may be easy to get food trapped below them.

You'll be fine.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Zondrae

#6 Post by Zondrae »

Mine didn't hurt going in & after they are on you don't really feel them much. I was just so relieved to get the spacers out! :D I only had the spacers in for a week too & there was enough space.

pippy

#7 Post by pippy »

I only had spacers for a week and there was definitely enough room. The bands are a bit annoying going on...mainly because they try a few different sizes and your teeth will feel a bit odd once the spacers come out...so you don't ideally want someone fiddling around there too much. But it doesn't take long and its not sore...just weird.

NatalieMac

#8 Post by NatalieMac »

It was the most annoying part of getting my braces put on, but it wasn't painful.

Since then they haven't been sore at all.

The only soreness I've had from them is my tongue that got sore for a couple of says from rubbing up against them.

Oh, and my teeth are *very* tight and crowded, but they had no problem putting on the molar bands after I wore spacers for only a week - and I lost two of them.

niknikc

#9 Post by niknikc »

The bands aren't a problem, just got mine 10-10. The spacers have been the worst part so far, it was actually a relief to get the bands on to me.
"Blessed are the peacekeepers for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9

Top Braces: 9-26-06
Bottom Braces: 11-29-06

GatorGirl

#10 Post by GatorGirl »

Getting them on was a pain, because the girl that was fitting them didnt know what she was doing. She tried to put one on that was too small , jamming it down when it clearly was too small, when she realized it, she had to now get the darn thing off my tooth. It was a bit painful, only because of her though..heh. now they don't bother me too much. I did have to use wax at first because the things on the outside of them irritated my cheeks.

jennandtonic

#11 Post by jennandtonic »

Getting them on sort of ached, but that was what the process was like--kind of achy, but not too bad.

What hurt about the molar bands was afterward. My poor tongue was sliced up for weeks afterward, until I finally got used to the inside of the bands. I recommend lots of wax on them at first!

Henna_the_braceface

#12 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

for me... not at all :)