When is it safe to floss?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

GemGal

When is it safe to floss?

#1 Post by GemGal »

I have been braced for almost a week now and I'm still in PAIN when I floss! :soremouth: I tried to floss after every meal, but I'm only flossing at night now and it still hurts :yikes: . AND it takes me like fifteen minutes and a pint of blood to finish the job! When is it safe to floss again? When I mean safe, I mean safe from the pain?!?!?!
XOXO
GemGal

science teacher

floos

#2 Post by science teacher »

my dentists says if you bleed when you floss you are not flossing enough... Hmmm

Maybe it's the type of floss? :?

Kim

SDFD TSchott

#3 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Yup that saying was told to me before, when you floss and if you bleed your not flossing enough. Well hopefully the pain will be eliminated and you will be able to floss without any pain here soon.

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

MrsF

#4 Post by MrsF »

Hi Gemgal,
Yep, I got braced a day before you and my teeth are still a bit tender, only one side for some reason. I find if I use the "satin" floss instead of a thick waxy one, it goes in way easier. And it definately took me at least 15 minutes as well! I keep telling myself its got to get easier once we have the hang of it!

Ravishing

#5 Post by Ravishing »

I had a hard time flossing at first too. It used to take forever and I couldn't get the floss between some of my teeth. Other teeth hurt to floss and one would always bleed. It was really frustrating but with time it got easier and hurt less.

I agree with the suggestion of trying another kind of floss. My ortho gave me Superfloss and thats what I started with. I've since switched to Glide floss and I like it waaay better. Maybe try a few different kinds and see what works for you.
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!