Bad experiences..

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

Bad experiences..

#1 Post by newmetal »

Have any of you had a bad experience as a result of braces? For example, someone making an embarrassing comment or reacting badly or different to you. I raise this subject because, when i was sitting in my lecture the lecturer turned to me and said, "I dont have people chewing gum in my lectures so can you remove it!". I was shocked at this, one we are all over the age of 18 so to be spoken to like children took me back a bit, and two i wasnt chewing gum it was my brace. The lecturer must have confused my tounge thrusting and funny lip movements to chewing gum. This was quite embarrassing to be honest, and i didnt find it funny at all as it degraded me and made me feel as some sort of outcast.

pippy

#2 Post by pippy »

I'm a uni lecturer in braces myself - and if I'd made a comment like that in error I would be mortified. Sometimes in the flow of a lecture we can slip a comment in that, if we sat down and totally analysed it for correctness and whether it would offend anyone at all, we wouldn't say again on reflection.....but it just pops on out. If anyone at all in my class were remotely offended at anything I said or at my demeanour I ask them all in week one to please tell me privately after class and I will revise my approach as everyone is different and you can't learn if you are uncomfortable.

I'd feel compelled to speak to this lecturer and point out their error (nicely) and highlight that you found it really embarrassing. ANy normal person will realise their mistake and apologise profusely. If they don't then indeed they are a**h**es and should cop a complaint.

From the other side I'm not looking forward to my next classes as they'll be my first with the braces and those students I've had dealings with out of term have really noticed......I already have an accent, now I'll have an accent and a lisp..........there'll be some teasing going on!!!!!

Delag

#3 Post by Delag »

I agree with Pippy. Go and talk to the teacher in a friendly way. Say that you just want to clear up any future confusion for both of your sakes. Then you can judge their reaction and either hate their guts or start to develop a good relationship with the prof - never a bad idea.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I'd definitely have a word with him too, newmetal. He's evidently one of these "old school" types who thinks he's still teaching kids LOL

just go and see him privately and explain the situation. I'm sure he'll be even more embarrassed than you were.

newmetal

#5 Post by newmetal »

Thanks for all your messages in agreement with my anger. I would talk to the numbskull, although from his reaction when i turned around as said that it wasn't chewing gum, infact my brace, it would fall on deaf ears. He just turned and gave a look and said, "hmm ok". Also, this guy is responsible for me entering into my 3rd and last year so i dont want to rub him up the wrong way, so i just have to accept hes an ignorant ass. Although, once i have completed the course i will be writing a letter of complaint and highlighting how his bad practise could really affect someones learning whilst at uni!

Many Thanks
Newmetal

iBorg

#6 Post by iBorg »

Its interesting reading this and notice the countries involved. I'm a university professor in the U.S. I totally agree that such behavior is unacceptable. I'd note his behavior and document it. After all was said and done, I'd contact his supervisor. At the college I'm at, that would be either the chair, dean or academic vice president. During that meeting, make the supervisor aware of what was said and how demeaning it was and indicate your documentation. The documentation should be helpful in that if for some reason you have difficulty moving into the third year, it might show a cause of action against the individual and/or the institution. I'm not sure if the Americans with Disabilities Act applies to braces and it obviously doesn't in England but I agree with everyone that this person's behavior was poor at best.

As for speaking with braces, I only have my tops but am very fearful of how bad my lisp will be with my bottoms and the bite plate.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.