starting the bite plate/lowers freakout

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

akabraces

starting the bite plate/lowers freakout

#1 Post by akabraces »

Hellooooo to all!

I've had my uppers on now for seven months,
and am now getting my lowers put on Monday--
along with a bite plate!!!! Ugh!!! I have a very
busy schedule and am starting to worry that:

a. I won't be able to eat alot b/c I'm always on
the go and won't make time
b. I'll get frustrated w/ the bite plate and not
wear it when I should 24 hrs a day!!!
c. I'll sound funny and get sad about it

I want to listen to the ortho's advice, but I
am afraid I won't do it and that will set me back...
any words of wisdom or encouragement!?!
Thanks for any help!!! Monday will be here
before I know it!!!

cheers,

*aka

iBorg

#2 Post by iBorg »

I understand where you'r coming from. I enter the 24 hour bite plate territory in November. I do have a bite plate to sleep in due to my grinding. I can talk with it in without major problems. You may need to slow down to be understood. I believe the secret to success with this is practice, practice, practice.

I wish you well with it.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

fitchick

#3 Post by fitchick »

Hi akabraces,

I have one of those bite plates too. The positive to having it is that I have never given the braces a 2nd thought since the minute they went on because I was too busy concentraing on the bite plate. I won't pretend that it was easy to get used to because it wasn't, however I have kept it in all the time with the exception of cleaning times, and this is why I adjusted to it fairly quickly. Now when I take it out to clean I miss it. Yes, never thought I'd say that in the beginning! Stick with it, the longer its there the sooner you will adjust I promise. Just keep thinking about your final result and it will all be well worth it.

Good Luck.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

akabraces

#4 Post by akabraces »

hey fitchick!

why do you miss it when you take it out??? is it b/c you've gotten so used to it???
man, like 24 hours until i get it...ugh...i even asked if they could cement it in bc i know some people here have a bite plate that is not removable but they said no...i just thought that way i wouldn't be tempted to take it out, but hopefully, like you say, i'll get used to it!!! fingers crossed...
is it that much different having upper and lowers than just uppers??? probably depends on each person, just wondering what i'm in for tomorrow!

*aka

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

One thing I've noticed with mine, I seem to prefer it in instead of out. With my grinding it helps. aslo, when you first get started your teeth will move so much that cememnted in may prevent some movement. I've been braced a little over a month. I've had the bite plate to sleep in for two weeks. It doesn't fit as well now as when I first got it. I anticipate at my adjustment they'll take a mold for another bite plate.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

fitchick

#6 Post by fitchick »

Hi Aka,

I know it sounds strange, at first I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I miss it because I am very used to it now and my mouth feels so big and empty without it, (I haven't got a big mouth honest!). But I also have a TPA on the roof of my mouth too and I talk lispy with that alone, so with the bite plate lessens the lisp.

I currently have my lowers braced and the upper bite plate and TPA. Now my teeth have moved, the bite plate prevents my lower brackets being eaten off by my top teeth! PLEASE don't feel the need to remove it, it will prolong your treatment and you'll never get used to it. I laughed at myself when I couldn't say certain words and everyone else thought it was cute. Now I just think I'm doing something positive for myself and its a small sacrifice for those perfect teeth.

Let us know how you go tomorrow and remember that it will never feel as rotten as it does for the first few days.

Good Luck.
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Mar07 Upper Brace on

bckydgardnr

#7 Post by bckydgardnr »

When I first got my bite plate (4 weeks ago) I thought how am I going to live with this thing. I constantly was running my tounge over it. Talking was difficult. I had to do a presentation the day after I got it and honestly people were looking at me strange. A colleague said, do you have something in your mouth, do your teeth hurt? It has made a difference. I have it to prevent grinding and to help close an extraction gap on my top teeth. I hate to have it out now because I know with every close of my mouth I could reopen that extraction gap.

You will get used to it and know that it is there for a purpose. Good luck.
Gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

akabraces

#8 Post by akabraces »

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your replies--it's helping me be less
anxious (she says as she rolls her eyes)...okay,
so maybe I'm still anxious, but it's good to hear
that you have gotten used to your bite plates--and
that they eventually feel even kind of secure
and comforting!
How do you wash your bite plate? And do you
have to take it out and wash it after every time
you eat? Did you lose weight in the beginning
b/c your teeth couldn't meet??? AND how long
are you supposed to be in yours??? I might have to
be in mine 5 months or so, ugh!
One more question--initially my ortho thought
he would put my lowers on in July/August, but
now it's not happening until now which is October--
does this mean my progress is going slower than
expected--and does that mean I'll be in braces more
toward the longer part of my estimated time? I know
we're not orthos here, but just wondering if
anyone had a similar experience....

*aka

fitchick

#9 Post by fitchick »

Hi Aka,

I can help answer a few of your questions - I wash mine with toothpaste and my toothbrush and do it after my meals. To begin with I was very good and did it after snacks too, but I'm afraid after snacking I now just rinse with mouthwash. Yes I did lose weight after having all these strange gadgets in my mouth, but once I got used to eating again I went back to my usual weight. How are you getting away with a 5 month sentence Aka? I didn't ask my ortho how long I'd have the bite plate until I felt I could cope with the answer, I'm glad I waited too, I'll have mine for the duration, 18-24 mths!! Just as well me and bite plate are now best buddies!

I don't know why you are getting yours later than expected but there is bound to be a good reason for it. Add it to your list of questions for your next visit.

I'll look out for your post tomorrow and if I can help and give you some encouraging words then I will. Stick with it though.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Mar07 Upper Brace on

iBorg

#10 Post by iBorg »

fitchick:
What's a TPA?

As for cleaning mine, I use RetainerBrite about three times a week. If you can't find it, dentakit.com (this site's host) carries it.

I can't imaging eating in it. If I tried to eat in mine, I'd have major issues.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

fitchick

#11 Post by fitchick »

Hi iBorg

I hope you don't mind me replying on your post Aka. A TPA is a Trans Palatal Arch, I've looked for a better description on Archwired, there is one but I can't find it right now. It is a wire which is cemented to my top teeth and fits across the roof of my mouth to hold my teeth apart and prevent them from moving yet. It leaves a nice imprint on my tongue and gives me a lisp now and again. Its ok until food gets wrapped round it or when food gets stuck when you really want to swallow it.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Mar07 Upper Brace on

iBorg

#12 Post by iBorg »

I'll keep my bite plate if I have my druthers.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

akabraces

#13 Post by akabraces »

thanks again for all your replies--very helpful...

the good thing is i have a morning appointment, so
i just get up and go--no worrying all day!

another question--how long does it take to
put it in--and does the process hurt at all???
i assume that with getting my lowers i should
probably be there a while, right???

thanks!

*aka

iBorg

#14 Post by iBorg »

In my case, they took a mold in the morning and had it ready that afternoon. Putting it in and chaecking it was all of five minutes. I would guess your lowers will take as long as your uppers or about an hour.

Good luck, sleep well!
Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009