changing elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dark_angel475

changing elastics

#1 Post by dark_angel475 »

hello, i just got new elastics a few days ago, to pull my molers and the jaw bone up. :o It hurts but i'm getting used to them aleady. They're called Korea heavy duty elastics. My question is how often I should change them. My Ortho never told me that part.

Thanks so much to anyone wo has these stupid elastics. lol. :)
[/url]

jllybllybtty

#2 Post by jllybllybtty »

i just got mine a few days ago and my ortho told me to change the elastics at least 2 times a day. hope that helps!

dark_angel475

#3 Post by dark_angel475 »

ok wonderful. thanks for your help. :)

Oh and how long does one bag usualy last? I only have a bag, should i get more?
[/url]

Jillianleab

#4 Post by Jillianleab »

You really should call your ortho and ask him how often to change the elastics. I only use one set a day, no changes after eating, nothing. It's different depending on what your ortho wants to do.
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

I change my elastics every time I clean my teeth, and as I clean after main meals I need at least 6 a day (I've got a vertical box configuration on each side). This past weekend I've been with friends celebrating a 50th birthday and I've variously snapped and eaten more than my usual daily allocation (it was a BIG weekend), so I went through a few more than usual.

I absolutely could not get through 24 hours on two elastic, probably because I eat with them in.

On average, a bag of 100 lasts me 2.5 weeks. I always ask for more than I think I'm going to need.

charm

#6 Post by charm »

I agree you should call your ortho to find out. I first got elastics 3 weeks ago and was told to change them 4 times a day. After each meal and before bedtime.

dark_angel475

#7 Post by dark_angel475 »

thanks everyone. I'll ask my Ortho when I see him in a few days. :) untill then. twice a day sounds like the average. :)
[/url]

BraceUrself

#8 Post by BraceUrself »

I have to change mine 3 x a day
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
appliance installed in mouth 10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

Dr says I won't finish on time

JumpTheDitch

#9 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I only have to change mine once a day, and they only come out for eating and brushing.

My ortho gave me 2 x 100 bags, one of which I promptly lost! :roll:

dark_angel475

#10 Post by dark_angel475 »

Well I've been changing mine 2-3 times a day and the Ortho said that things were moving great. So i suppose that will do it. :D
I also carry elastics with me everywhere. I have them in my bathroom, coat, purse, and car. lol.
[/url]