Warning for those with inward tilted Molars

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gennel

Warning for those with inward tilted Molars

#1 Post by Gennel »

I thought I should share my experience in hopes that other people with molars tilted inwards won't suffer like I did! Using elastics did not work in moving my bottom molars upright. My bottom molars are tilted inward,facing my tongue. If elastics did not work ,plan B was to use an expander ( Bihelix) Well they had to take the impression mold of my bottoms with the molar bands on.

What happened:
They start fitting me with different molds to see which fits best. Well no surprise that I needed a small one . It fit just right but it was a little snug around those tilted molars when she lifted it off. This was before even adding the impression mixture! One the mixture was added to the moldtray it was placed on my lowers. Within seconds I knew something was WRONG. Besides suffering excruciating pain due to sensitivity to cold.The assistant could not remove the mold no matter what she tried. She rocked it back and forth for several minutes and then had to call someone else.The other assistant was unable to remove it either. Finally about 15 minutes later the mold came off and my molars felt like they almost got ripped off with it! The problem was that they had to shape the moldtray with pliers to make it as narrow as possible so my molars won't get stuck. They felt awful and I can understand that,trust me they felt AWFUL. My molars have been the most tilted that they've seen in a few yrs. Well I got a call yesterday with my worst fears come true! I needed to come back in ASAP to redo the impression!
This time things went amazingly great! I arrived and the mold tray was already shaped very narrow and there was plenty of topical anesthesia ready for my cold sensitive teeth! She let me put plenty of it and placed and removed the moldtray several times making sure there was enough room. Finally the impression mixture was put on and she placed it in my mouth and I was not in pain from the cold. About a minute later she just slipped it off in 1-2 seconds and it was over!

I just wanted to share this with you guys in case you need to have this done. Discuss it with your ortho or assistant. The metal moldtray NEEDS to be made narrow with pliers so your molars don't get stuck! Getting impressions rarely ever causes any discomfort,this just happened to happen to me! lol

Gennel

starryadora

#2 Post by starryadora »

Wow...that's crazy!! Thanks for the heads up!

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~

science teacher

molars

#3 Post by science teacher »

I will remember that. One of the major reasons I'm getting braced s to make my molars work together.

I've had impressions made before and haven't had problems yet. I had upper impressions done today with bands for the RPE in place and it was much harder to remove than not having the bands.

Kim

Gennel

#4 Post by Gennel »

Yup, the molarbands make it a little bit more difficult to remove the moldtray.I had the combination of the molarband and very tilted molars so it was like my molars were hugging the moldtray really tight lol.

Gennel

rsprouse

#5 Post by rsprouse »

Yup, the molarbands make it a little bit more difficult to remove the moldtray.I had the combination of the molarband and very tilted molars so it was like my molars were hugging the moldtray really tight lol.

Gennel
Ah the beloved undercut. Ask for PVS or Polyether impressions next time. They bend and flex more than alginate and allow you to break the seal and get the impression out of the mouth with much less excitement. Although if the tray fits well then it can take a minute to break the seal and while it's stuck it can bring an interesting look to the patient's face (ask me how I know....happened today actually :lol: )

Best,
Rory

Buttoneyz

#6 Post by Buttoneyz »

I just love this site becasue I'm not the only one...They took my molds using the childrens sizes (I'm 40!) and when she came at me with an empty METAL tray, well, I was really nervous!. Sure enough, it got stuck. After she just about yanked out my lower molars, she used the plyers and all was fine after that. It hurt and I was embarrassed. Hopefully, in about 2 years, we will have pretty teeth that like to stand upright and proud!

Fully braced on Oct 9, 2006