Ear aches?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NatalieMac

Ear aches?

#1 Post by NatalieMac »

I've been braced for two weeks, and I keep getting ear aches in my right ear. Sometimes they last for a couple of days. Anyone else had this? Is it just a coincidence or could the braces be causing this? I'm not sure if I should go to my regular doctor or call my ortho.

brandee987

#2 Post by brandee987 »

Natalie, sorry that you are having earaches upon dealing with being newly braced! It could possibly be from the braces. I know that my sinuses hurt so bad when I was first braced and when I got my first powerchain. But I would call the ortho or see the doc if it is still hurting. Sometimes you may need an antibiotic to clear up a recurring ear infection.
Ceramic Upper braces: November 29, 2005
Metal Lowers go on: March 7th, 2006

science teacher

ear

#3 Post by science teacher »

I would say its a 90% chance your ear ache is from your braces.
I went to the Dr. for an earache in April and i'm now on the road to having SARPE and braces for my bite.

Your TMJ may be aggrevated from having the braces put on and as your teeth move, your bite changes. There are several nerves that are in the area of your ear/jaw.

Let your ortho know about the ear ache. You may need some muscle relaxers for a week or so.

Kim

cbushnaq

#4 Post by cbushnaq »

I've been having lots of earaches too since I got braces 6 weeks ago. I had an adjustment last week and my right ear hurt for 4 days and was very painful. But if you are concerned it would be best to call your ortho or doctor.

Cindy

braced4asmile

#5 Post by braced4asmile »

I have been having ear aches as well. At one point, I had fluid in my ear and could feel it moving around. I went in to my doctor and she said I just had fluid in my ear ... nothing to be concerned about. Sometimes the pain was like an ear infection. I e-mailed my ortho and she said it is possible that it could be from the braces, but probably not!!! She suggested going to an ENT doctor. I'm still convinced it has something to do with the braces, since I never get ear infections. Good luck to you. Hope you'll feel better soon.

Anxious to be debanded 4/23/08!

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

Ear pain can be associated with the TMJ joint.
I have the same pain when the joint is acting up.

When you are in braces and your bite changes there is that irresistable urge to "keep checking your bite" by bringing your teeth together...RESIST THE URGE! Keep saying to yourself "Lips Together, Teeth Apart"..repeat after me, everyone....

Lips Together, Teeth Apart

This will help your joint to relax. :D
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

NatalieMac

#7 Post by NatalieMac »

Well, I get ear infections a lot. I always have. Especially in my right ear. Everytime I get a cold, even a little sniffle, I end up with an ear infection in my right ear. I guess that my right ear is just super-sensitive and the braces are probably not helping anything.

I think I'll make an appointment with my regular doctor because the only way I'm going to get rid of an ear infection caused by or aggravated by braces or not is with a dose of anitbiotics.

Pirate Wench

#8 Post by Pirate Wench »

Sorry to hear that your not feeling very well. I hope your doctor can help you out with the ear ache.

Get better soon.