calling ugly betty fans ; )

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

#2 Post by newmetal »

I personally think that the film is quite offensive and does nothing for brace wearers.

Newmetal

Drama Queen

#3 Post by Drama Queen »

I am more upset at the fact that Channel 4 have lost the rights to screen series 3 and 4 of Lost and they are replacing it with Ugly Betty! I am now gonna have to fork out for sky as sky one now have the rights, to try and work out what Lost is actually all about!

Lau xx
Braced on 25 July 2006 Ceramic upper and lowers
Braces off on 3 April 2008

rockymountaingal

#4 Post by rockymountaingal »

After watching the show, I have to say, I was more focused on the rest of her appearance than her braces. They couldnt've made her more "schleppy" looking!!OMG!!! Her hair, her eyebrow (s) , etc. Were the braces supposed to be the clencher on her being "ugly"? I doubt Ill watch the show again, just because I wasnt too interested in it.

buurin

#5 Post by buurin »

In the grand scheme of things, Ugly Betty's braces is the last thing on my mind, although I do admit it's the braces that caught my attention. And that the charm may soon wear out.

Here in Toronto, Canada CityTV is showing it, sadly I missed the pilot like oh so many shows before it's like my traditional bane. :twisted: :( But here I get to see it over the air in full high definition glory. 8) Praise the FusionHDTV 5 Gold tuner card that I bought early this year! :lol: So yes, I'm watching this on a computer built specifically for this purpose.

akabraces

#6 Post by akabraces »

i've never watched the show, i just posted the article b/c i remember some members expressing interest in it and thought they might appreciate the article. i could personally care less, i don't even get the channel it is on!...but i've heard other people say they like it...and it is the highest rated new show of the season which is interesting...oh well...

*aka

Nikkiekoala

#7 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I've watched it, it is okay. I realize there is more to her 'ugliness' but I don't know why Braces and glasses have to a part of that.
In fact a lot of the entertainment shows have 'made under' their hosts to make them ugly and start by adding glasses and braces than add a long hair wig. Hmmm, I wear glasses, braces and have long hair. I must be ugly if that is what it takes.
My point is I think they could have made Ugly Betty ugly with just her frumpy wardrobe and lack of fashion sense without the addition of braces and glasses. But that is just me.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

xtrememkovr

#8 Post by xtrememkovr »

yeah - long hair, bushy eyebrows, glasses and brace-wearers may indeed be viewed as "ugly" in today's fashion society (and beyond). Are any of us really that surprised or offended? I think if we are offended or feeling personally attached because we hold one or two or all of these things common with Betty - then we may be missing the "point" of the film and the creators.

Betty is infactuated with the fashion world. She went to school at her little community college and has gotten her chance to work in a world she KNOWS she does not "fit into" and one in which will ultimately reject her, yet she feels compelled to not only work in this world - but do so knowing that she has a part to contribute to it's success. I think that in this sense, Ugly Betty is brilliant on so many levels. In many ways I think that it is a prototype of what most women try to do every minute of our existence: Fit into a world and stereotype that makes it clear to us on many levels that there is no place in this world for people like "us". So why not shove every part of what the world sees as "ugly" and attach it to someone whose beauty goes unnoticed by practically everyone and let us - the audience - struggle with what true beauty means.

I think if we are to be "offended" by the show and it's depiction of ugly (braces, chubby, long bushy hair and eyebrows and little to no fashion "sense") then we should also be JUST as offended and question societies views of thin neurotic slutty thin beautiful women (the receptionist), nerdy geeky electronic men (her ex-boyfriend), rich pampered and sexualizing women while trying to win his father's approval (her boss), and cut throat african american modelesque women who will stop at nothing short of UGLY to get what they want (Vanessa William's character), the unapologetic view of homosexual personal attendants who are nothing more than whipping posts for women and their whims (her assistant) and the gaudiness of Hispanic women in Queens, NY (her sister). Since this is the brace board, however, I can see why BETTY is the topic of much angst and disgust. (shrugs).

I know that the show isn't for everyone, but I'm more than delighted to sit down every week and see what beautiful lessons I can learn from Betty's character. I like her struggles to try to fit in because I see myself in her struggles, and I enjoy the transformations she causes each week because of her beauty which is so much more than what is on the surface. I think that there is a great lesson in this show - and while I know everyone may not agree with the messages and resent the depiction - I'm glad to see an adult minority woman IN BRACES getting much critical acclaim and being picked up for the rest of the season. So from one U.B. fan one final word: KUDOS!

(thanks for the article and link, Original poster - I appreciate it!)

Kari

missing_tooth

#9 Post by missing_tooth »

I enjoy the show, although the long term plot is really flaky and totally unreal. Ugly Betty is the only reason I enjoy the show. She seems "real" if you know what I mean. BTW So glad she ditched her old bf, he really needed to go. I think it's funny how everytime he shows up, he beggs for her back and how he thinks the guys from work is her new bf. lol

- Missing Tooth -

Gennel

#10 Post by Gennel »

I watch the show and my daughters enjoy it. I wanted to see the first episode because everyone was mainly focusing on the fact that she wears braces. I've seen the show every week and her braces is not really an issue at all. It's not what I see when I watch the show.

Now....

They truly exaggerated her look with the 'wolverine" bushy eyebrows,ugly glasses and her 1980's style! I have NEVER seen any woman dress like that unless they had a mental/personality problem. Seriously, I have seen a few senior woman with the fake wigs ,teased and hairsprayed skyhigh,overly painted eyebrows,lipstick that's not on the lips,big clunky jewelry and they were talking to themselves and were all like 80 yrs old. I live in Florida and I've seen about 6 elderly woman dress just like ugly Betty does.

Gennel

Gennel

#11 Post by Gennel »

Sorry ,my post should have been more detailed.In the past 10 yrs+ I have seen at least 3-6 woman that looked like that. The first one was in shouting rage arguing an invisible person in front of her. The second lady looked like she put makeup in the dark. The eyeliner was where the eyeshadow should be,the eyebrow liner was above her eyebrows,and lipstick not on the lips either,big plastic red earrings ,skintight shiny bikershorts and tubetop with high wedge shoes. She was talking to herself,actually it seemed like she could see someone in front of her and was carrying on a conversation.... My youngest daughter sort of got scared and asked what was wrong with her. That is what I meant by must have a mental problem ,I didn't actually diagnose any illness, sorry

Gennel