Crossbite

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tracy729

Crossbite

#1 Post by tracy729 »

Hi!

Does anybody have a crossbite problem? If so, did you have it corrected during your brace treatment?

Tracy

NotBob1

#2 Post by NotBob1 »

I do!! :shock: I believe mine will be corrected toward the end with elastics from the inside bottom to the outside top molars.....sounds interesting.....I'll let you know when I get there! I hope there are no other devices needed for this.....so far my devices have been extremely minimal.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

GemGal

#3 Post by GemGal »

I DO I DO I DO!!!
:-1

Yes, I have a crossbite. My ortho is correcting this with an elastic. It's a little painful at first, but I'm getting used to it. I don't know if there are other methods in correcting a xbite though.
XOXO
GemGal

tracy729

#4 Post by tracy729 »

My ortho said that my crossbite would have to be corrected with surgery. He said that it would get a little better with the braces.

Tracy

eoberhauser

#5 Post by eoberhauser »

I too have the lovely crossbite. Currently my ortho has my top archwire bent out to try and pull the teeth out that way. This is working, but if it doesn't complete the task I will be getting the elastics (inside top molars to outside bottom molars). Mine seems to be doing well, good luck with yours.

Erin

jalapeno

#6 Post by jalapeno »

i have an upper molar that is in crossbite. it's one half a tooth width inside where it's supposed to be.

least of my worries really :-)

Nikkiekoala

#7 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I have a crossbite too. I guess it depends on where your crossbite is as to whether it can be corrected by braces or surgery. My crossbite WAS my upper front left tooth and the tooth next to it. They came down behind my bottom teeth while the rest of my upper teeth were in front of my bottom teeth. Kind of a zig zag look when I smiled with my teeth closed.
The ortho has corrected it with bends in my archwire. I think he may be using elastics to finish the job. I will find out this Wed. at my next adjustment.
Click on my blog link in my sig for pictures. I show a pic. of my teeth with the crossbite before braces and a couple of progress pics. of their movement to a more normal position.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

science teacher

me too

#8 Post by science teacher »

Hand up! I have nasty posterior crossbite.
I'm starting treatment with a SARPE. My ortho said nothing could be done until my top jaw was wider.

Kim

samantha_lou

#9 Post by samantha_lou »

*raises hand* Bicuspids in crossbite here! I've currently got a schwartz appliance to act as a expander/retainer/biteplate. Its not much fun, but hey, its all in the name of a great smile!

ssfw

#10 Post by ssfw »

Hi Tracy,

I had a crossbite which was recently corrected with an expander. It took about 4 months to get it corrected. After the crossbite was corrected, the upper braces were placed. I think the expander was mainly for the crossbite but at the same time I needed to get my upper arch widened also. It is amazing how your teeth look after the crossbite has been corrected. I still have my expander but I think my orthodontist is fine-tuning my bite, etc. and trying to stabilize the expansion. He thinks I may be able to get it removed in December. I'm so use to the expander now that I often forget I have it which is probably why I won't have a problem if I don't get it removed in December.

From reading the posts, it sounds like there are different ways to correct a crossbite - I guess it depends on your overall ortho treatment.

Keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Lisa65

#11 Post by Lisa65 »

I've got crossbitten bicuspids too. You can hardly see the top ones because they are so far in and hidden behind my canines. I'm not sure how my ortho intends to get them out. We haven't reached that stage yet.

Danielle

#12 Post by Danielle »

I have a crossbite too!!! It's so nice to finally find others with the same problem (not that I wish crossbites upon others). So far mine is being improved with the use of a strong elastic tied to my archwire. I know there are other treatments for this, but so far I've yet to find anyone else with an elastic tied to their archwire... it looks a little strange (but anything is an improvement). And truthfully my main issue with it is the amount of pain involved in tying this elastic--by far the most pain I've experienced during my treatment--but again better to tough it out for a few minuets and get a lifetime of results.

Anyway, one of my top front teeth is in the crossbite position and two and a half months into treatment it's ready to "jump" at any moment. How long has it taken you to get your tooth to move forward? I've been told my teeth are moving along ahead of schedual, but it's always encouraging to hear the sucess stories of others.

lisaemtp

Me too

#13 Post by lisaemtp »

I also have a crossbite....a "skeletal crossbite" according to my ortho, meaning it is caused by my narrow palate. I find out for sure in a week and a half at my next consult whether it will be fixed with just an expander or surgery. Its so interesting to see all the different ways people are being treated!

Lisa

http://toothordare.wordpress.com

SapphireJen

#14 Post by SapphireJen »

I had a crossbite on both my upper canines. One has complete come out and the other is almost there with the archwire alone. Not sure if the ortho will have to resort to anything else to get the second one into place as it is being a bit stubborn :?