new here - lots of questions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pfb

new here - lots of questions

#1 Post by pfb »

Bear with me, but if someone could give me some guidance it would be much appreciated!

Here is my situation. I'm 40, have known that I would need braces for a while, and finally made the decision. I have had a Maryland bridge for 20 years (left of front tooth) and have a gap on the other side - result of baby teeth. Have one more baby molar (in the bone) that will need to be removed - leaving a significant hole. Have gum recession behind MB. Front teeth slightly misaligned and have a gap covered (nicely) with bonding. Good lower teeth, some crowding. Healthy mouth and gums, lots of jawbone for grafts. Type of smile one can live with, but functionally and aestetically could be much better.

So after some research, I looked into this "corticotomy" procedure. That, plus bone grafts, plus temp teeth on arch wire and braces, followed by three implants looks to be the regime.

I am having this done at BU Dental school, not so much because of cost, but because of one stop shopping convenience that I assume you get from ALL pros being at the same location.

Concerns/Questions

1) Corticotomy - looks legit, and can cut the brace time in half I am told (my teeth do not need to move far, I was told it could take as little as 6 months)

Risks, too good to be true?

2) Bone graft. One should be easy, the other will be significant bc of hole after baby molar is out. Does the size of a bone graft play into healing and thus overall time frame? Can braces work while graft heals?

3) Clear braces vs metal... I have heard mixed things - from the clear ones protruding more and being more fragile, to the metal ones working faster and not looking as bad (smaller?) than clear. Any concensus?

4) Finally, Dental school. Any good / bad experiences? Anything I should really stay on top of?

Sorry for the multiple questions. I have a full blown oral consult on Wed and wanted to be a bit more prepared.

Thanks!

Paul

rsprouse

Re: new here - lots of questions

#2 Post by rsprouse »

Bear with me, but if someone could give me some guidance it would be much appreciated!

Here is my situation. I'm 40, have known that I would need braces for a while, and finally made the decision. I have had a Maryland bridge for 20 years (left of front tooth) and have a gap on the other side - result of baby teeth. Have one more baby molar (in the bone) that will need to be removed - leaving a significant hole. Have gum recession behind MB. Front teeth slightly misaligned and have a gap covered (nicely) with bonding. Good lower teeth, some crowding. Healthy mouth and gums, lots of jawbone for grafts. Type of smile one can live with, but functionally and aestetically could be much better.
20 years on a Maryland bridge? That is impressive!!
So after some research, I looked into this "corticotomy" procedure. That, plus bone grafts, plus temp teeth on arch wire and braces, followed by three implants looks to be the regime.

I am having this done at BU Dental school, not so much because of cost, but because of one stop shopping convenience that I assume you get from ALL pros being at the same location.

Concerns/Questions

1) Corticotomy - looks legit, and can cut the brace time in half I am told (my teeth do not need to move far, I was told it could take as little as 6 months)

Risks, too good to be true?
It can be legit. It is more invasive than traditional non-surgical orthodontics. But it can speed up treatment and offer better long term retention.
2) Bone graft. One should be easy, the other will be significant bc of hole after baby molar is out. Does the size of a bone graft play into healing and thus overall time frame? Can braces work while graft heals?
You don't want to try and move teeth into "spongy" immature bone. So you can potentially do some orthodontics in other ways while the bone heals. But maybe not. Size does matter like anything in life :lol:
3) Clear braces vs metal... I have heard mixed things - from the clear ones protruding more and being more fragile, to the metal ones working faster and not looking as bad (smaller?) than clear. Any concensus?
The extra time for ceramics is negligable when you look at a typical treatment plan. Plus protruding is also not a big deal. Choose whichever will make you more comfortable.
4) Finally, Dental school. Any good / bad experiences? Anything I should really stay on top of?
No comment on BU :lol:
Sorry for the multiple questions. I have a full blown oral consult on Wed and wanted to be a bit more prepared.

Thanks!

Paul
Who are you meeting with on Wednesday? Dr. Ferguson? Or are you having a team meeting?

Good Luck,
Rory

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

The corticotomy is similar to that they do in Wilckodontics. You may want to read this article:

http://www.archwired.com/AOO1.htm

and be sure to also read the two patients' stories linked to the article.

Search this site for "corticotomy" and "Wilckodontics" and see if you can find others who have posted information about their treatment. You might also want to do a similar search on google. I do remember that a couple of the people on this board who had a similiar procedure weren't too happy with the amount of pain they were in afterward -- but I think that overall they were pleased with the results.

Good luck!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

pfb

#4 Post by pfb »

Thanks everyone! Very helpful.

Rory, thank you for the insight into the (larger) bone graft. I thinks this will be an issue, and my thought is that they could do a lot of ortho without actually pulling the tooth first, then pull later and put an implant in. You'd have to see the tooth of course, but the aesthetic issue is in front and on the other side, not where the molar is. The molar is a long-term functional issue, it will have to be removed mostly because it is situated in a way that makes it hard to clean between the other teeth, but I just think that it will represent a big chunk of the time/effort etc related to the braces. The resident and I are already sort of disagreeing about this issue, but they are the experts.

Not sure who I will be meeting with on Wed - sounds like you know those guys. So far, everyone has been very helpful and informative. I am not trying to play dentist, but I have tried to learn as much as I can and am not afraid to ask questions. For the most part, they seem to like that, which makes me much more comfortable. And like I said, I am happy that I can go to one spot for the complete treatment, rather than seeing 4 separate pros at four separate locations.

I expect the corticotomy to be painful, I think the extraction will also not be fun, the tooth seems to be part of the bone, but I'll be fine. I've read up on the wilckodontics site and I guess I am surprised that this procedure is not more common - it seems like a pretty small concession for a 50% reduction in time. But I also have lots of room for my teeth to move, I understand that a normal smile or crowded teeth do not respond as well to this procedure...

I have some other questions, but I think I'll wait until after thursday.

Wired1

#5 Post by Wired1 »

Hi -- I'm new to the site, but hope my experience can help.

I had a maxillary expansion via corticotomy and palatal expander last November. My problems were malocclusion/collapsing of the lower teeth/crowding. My orthodontist said he wouldn't even try to put on braces without expanding my upper jaw, it was so narrow. I found a really great oral/maxillofacial surgeon whom I really trust. Along with the corticotomy, he removed all four wisdom teeth.

As for the surgery, I was out completely, and stayed out for a number of hours afterwards. Then I was on pain meds, but gave them up the next day in favor of Tylenol. In my case, the surgery cut the nerves, so I couldn't feel anything. I had tenderness under my nose as that was the point of maximum expansion. There was swelling and bruising (mostly from the wisdom teeth) and slight dizziness which lasted a number of weeks. Numbness of the upper jaw means you cannot feel when you brush your teeth, but with a mirror, you will prevail. Might want to ask your surgeon about his take on the numbness.

In my case, the corticotomy was not intended to speed up the straightening, but rather to make room to form a healthy bite. In addition, breathing through my nose has become normal and I've regained a sense of smell I didn't realize I'd lost. So, it's been a really great thing for me.

As for braces, I have self ligating metal ones. I thought about ceramics, but figured I would probably find a way to stain them (as I have done with the clear ties... spaghetti sauce is a downfall). My orthodontist's experience is that the metal self ligating work faster -- probably due to the fact that they're harder to break or mess up :)

In any case, the metal ones are indeed visible, but I don't mind and they go well with silver jewelry!

pfb

#6 Post by pfb »

thanks Wired1

Looks like corticotomy is a general term for any sort of induced trauma to the jawbone (or bone in general). In my case, the procedure will involve them making lots of little holes under my gums, which then puts my system into overdrive to repair the area, and allows for the teeth to move more freely and faster. I don't "need" the procedure - but the amount of time in braces is a major consideration for me. Even if I can save a few months, it is hopefully worth the discomfort and extra expense. We'll see.

I have heard that staining can be a major problem - I love coffee and darker beer. Do I have to give that stuff up?

I'll post again later - I might even figure out how to get pix up...