Question for the over 50 group

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

neelie

Question for the over 50 group

#1 Post by neelie »

Do you think age has anything to do with my continual discomfort and inability to chew? I'm 56 and my braces (ceramic on top & medal on bottom) were put on 20 days ago. I read where someone on their first day with braces ate steak on the way home! I still can't eat anything like steak. I was so happy to eat pancakes Sunday. My front teeth can't bite into anything. Had to cut up my chicken SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM into tiny bite size pieces to eat. I chew with my back molars which are not braced at all. It feels like all my teeth are moving. I'm not complaining because I want things to happen, I'm just curious. :?:

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

OK, you've flushed me out.

I seem to recall cutting everything into small pieces for the first few weeks, then one day I could bite into food again.

I certainly didn't eat steak on day one, but I do eat it now with no discomfort. I guess because I go out a fair bit to eat with friends, I had to deal with regular food early on. I was hardly going to order something mushy. It was a bit rough in those early weeks (and I was desperately slow), but with hindsight it was probably a good thing because it forced me to deal with more substantial foods so I got back to my usual diet quicker.

So - to answer your question: in my case, I don't think age is a factor.

erik

#3 Post by erik »

Well, I am a little younger at 40 and have had my braces for a week. Ceramics top six and bottom six with archwires only on the front for now (brackets on molars unused at the moment).

My first day was not bad, and I was able to chew cut up chicken on the molars. The next day, forget it, I could not chew anything on my molars! And, there was no wire on them yet, go figure... I was on the soup and mac/cheese diet! After a few days I was able to chew very soft food (chicken was ok), but nothing as tough as steak though. Still sensitive, but I could work through it.

Last night (first week complete), my wife made beef teriayaki, which is somewhat tough. I was able to eat, though I had to do it very slowly, in very small pieces and carefully on the molars. It did not hurt, but was a bit uncomfortable. I just toughned up, I was really hungry!!

My front teeth are still out of commision! I cannot take a bite out of anything, so I have to cut everything up... I also eat slowly, if I accidentally bump my fronts while chewing, ouch...

I have been intentionally challenging myself to each gently and work up to harder foods. Sort of approching it like lifting weights. Not sure it is making a difference, but I won't keep eating mushy food...

Erik

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

I've had braces over 2 years and still have some discomfort biting after some adjustments.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Way Too Old For This

#5 Post by Way Too Old For This »

At 20 days I was still eating pretty soft stuff only. There are still lots of things I don't try, like beef jerky, forget it. Even crispy bacon is kind of hard.

After each adjustment I have a few days of discomfort and difficulty chewing. However, when my bite is getting changed (which it has lots of times) I just can't get any good molar action.

I doubt that age makes that much difference. My daughter (at 27) has braces and she has about the same problems eating that I have. I think what is being yanked and twisted makes more difference than our age.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Tin Indian

#6 Post by Tin Indian »

:( Not much else I can add except I'm over 50 myself. Take your time and chew thorougly, that helps stimulate blood flow and nerves to the sore area. Just remember to take small bites and chew s-l-o-w-l-y.And remember to take some pain meds before you eat to reduce the soreness somewhat.My ortho recommended to chew sugarless gum to stimulate saliva and to stimulate the nerves. Before you know it you will improve.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

Jillianleab

#7 Post by Jillianleab »

I'm not in the "over 50 crowd", but when I was first braced I had a lot of pain. My teeth were really crowded and they loosened up really quickly. I remember having pain in at least one tooth for 6 weeks; and it was easily that long before I could bite into anything more than PB&J sammies. I don't mean to scare you, only offer you sympathy, because I remember what it was like! After that first 6 weeks was over I was able to eat just about anything, even crunchy no-no food like chips :) Since then, I usually one have discomfort after an adjustment for a few days, so hang in there, it will get better! :)
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

Kat

#8 Post by Kat »

Pretty much like everyone says here. I have had braces on the top for two months. No way can I bite into anything. I can chew meats as long as I use the molars that don't have braces and the bottoms because I don't have braces on the bottoms yet.

I know what I'm in for once the bottoms are placed. It's going to be bad if they are anything like the tops but hey,we are in braces even kids cry about it. Ha! once I had these things put on one of the first things I thought of was how I use to think kids that wore them were babies about pain and stuff NOW I know what all the fuss was about. I'm mid 40's.
Hang in there!

Marzipan

#9 Post by Marzipan »

I'm 49 now and was 48 when first braced some 10 months ago. The first month or two did give some discomfort, and I sort of "re-learned" how to eat certain things, or cut things up and chewed them with the back teeth instead of using the incisors to tear into the food. You'll get used to it and then you'll nearly forget what it was like! Until reading your story, I'd forgotten.

Also, for a couple of days after each adjustment, the bite changes a bit and there might be discomfort. I haven't had much pain to be honest. Yesterday and today a bit because I got a chain for the first time. But it's already way better.

My braces were installed in stages also. I believe that helped me adjust to them - not so much change or pain all at the same time. People here are talking about chewing sugar-free gum and my ortho did say that's a good idea, so I may take it up. It's not my normal thing, though. One thing I do find that is like the gum is that, when my teeth hurt at first, brushing them gently actually relieved the pain! So I would just take my time with a soft toothbrush, continually and gently brushing over and around, along the gums, etc. To this day my flossing and brushing are the best I've ever done in my life.

Marzipan

#10 Post by Marzipan »

I'm 49 now and was 48 when first braced some 10 months ago. The first month or two did give some discomfort, and I sort of "re-learned" how to eat certain things, or cut things up and chewed them with the back teeth instead of using the incisors to tear into the food. You'll get used to it and then you'll nearly forget what it was like! Until reading your story, I'd forgotten.

Also, for a couple of days after each adjustment, the bite changes a bit and there might be discomfort. I haven't had much pain to be honest. Yesterday and today a bit because I got a chain for the first time. But it's already way better.

My braces were installed in stages also. I believe that helped me adjust to them - not so much change or pain all at the same time. People here are talking about chewing sugar-free gum and my ortho did say that's a good idea, so I may take it up. It's not my normal thing, though. One thing I do find that is like the gum is that, when my teeth hurt at first, brushing them gently actually relieved the pain! So I would just take my time with a soft toothbrush, continually and gently brushing over and around, along the gums, etc. To this day my flossing and brushing are the best I've ever done in my life.

charm

#11 Post by charm »

I will be 50 in about 2 weeks and was braced just about 8 weeks ago. Eating has been a huge problem but then I am missing more lower teeth than one should be so that adds to my chewing problems. I either cut everything up or pull it apart so I am chewing/digesting smaller pieces. Biting into something with my front teeth is not an option - the sensation isn't one of pain perse, but uncomfortable for sure.

I know the first month was the absolute worse. If it wasn't for this website I think I would have yanked them off my teeth a few times. On more than one occassion I thought "what the heck was I thinking?! - I must be insane to have done this" and then somehow I'd find the good sense to log onto this site and through the voices here I was able to kick in my coping skills.

This month has been much better.

Hang in there. Each day does get a little easier and the bad days aren't as bad as they once were.

Braced 8/28/06
Extractions 9/25/06
1st adjustment 9/26/06 + elastics
cleaning & 2nd adjustment this Tuesday (Yeah!) 10/31/06

lilleth

#12 Post by lilleth »

I'm 48, have had braces for about 21 months. Got them in stages. The tops were never a problem. When I got the bottom ones, they hurt pretty badly for several weeks. I lost a good bit of weight. Eventually I learned to eat with uppers & lowers and gained weight back. Darn!

My ortho & techs are all gentle. I've never had the kind of pain this time that I had when I got braces at age 14, but then, I had quite a bit of oral surgery associated with the braces at different times the first go round. Also those were the days when you got a band on every tooth, not just on select molars.

I got my first elastic last week and have learned to eat with that in. But, I have never been able to bit with front teeth since I got braces. Not painful anymore but I want to be sure not to break teeth or brackets.

neelie

#13 Post by neelie »

Thanks to all who answered my question. Things have gotten better in this third week sinced braced. Now I'm just two weeks from my first adjustment and I actually can't wait because I can see some movement and I hope my ortho is impressed too. Ha! I do have very crooked teeth and this is probably why I had discomfort for what seemed like a long time. Thank goodness for salt water rinses and wax and this forum!

josephine

#14 Post by josephine »

I'm 54 and have been in braces now for 20 months. One of the best pieces of info I got was from an ortho assistant the day the top brackets went on: every day will be different. SO true. I think too that much of the major movement happens in the first few months. On top of that, I think teeth do move some as we get older, but that effect will be minor next to the moving around that all the hardware is accomplishing. Good luck and keep us posted. There are lots of us over-fifties here.

neelie

#15 Post by neelie »

Thanks Josephine, That is so true - every day is different. Trying to have a good attitude but I'm still not use to all this hardware in my mouth, especially on the top front. Can't wait for my first adjustment on Nov. 8 though. Neelie