They did it again!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OceanGirl

They did it again!

#1 Post by OceanGirl »

I was flicking through the channels on my lunch break yesterday and happened to see part of the "Tyra" show. She was doing an experiment of sorts to see if attractive people get better treatment then not so attractive people. She had identical twins on the show and made up one to be less then attractive. They gave her a big new nose, bad skin and yup you guessed it BRACES!
Feb 4 2005
Top braces on
Expander on top, TMJ retainer on bottom

Dec 17 2005
Expander and retainer out
Braces on bottom, bite blocker on top

Septermber 8 2006
Bite blocker off!!!

Debanding will be Sept 2007.. FINALLY

juf_84

#2 Post by juf_84 »

KK always has a wonderful way of saying exactly the right thing!

I joke about my "geek gear"- I have glasses as well as braces, but apart from that I don't worry about how they affect my appearance. I've had three job interviews since being braced and they haven't affected my performance (as far as I know!). I do worry before I see a prospective employer (who's ever heard of a lawyer in braces???) but I just smile and put my best self forward, and that's what I do with everything I do!

It is really sad that so many people equate braces with ugliness- but how many beautiful people with gorgeous smiles went through braces first? It's worth it!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

dougwell

#3 Post by dougwell »

I'm watching the show now. Wow ...

M1k3y

#4 Post by M1k3y »

It's all a case by case situation. Some folks look great in braces while others look all right. The point is in the end we're all going to have incredible smiles that others will be jealous of. :D
Braced 5-27-06 - 18 months with braces
Case 1 - minor crookedness
Envision Composite Brackets
M1k3y's introduction with photos
M1k3y's journey with photos

Debranded 3-20-08

Ravishing

#5 Post by Ravishing »

I have glasses and braces as well. At first I had it in my head that I would start wearing my contacts all the time when I got my braces on. I thought that there was no way I was going to walk around as the stereotypical geek with glasses and braces (although they do coordinate quite well with my geeky software engineer husband!! :biglaf:).
Contacts over glasses lasted about 24 hours! I've learned that people don't really care about glasses or braces or both together. If they do, I know its their problem and not mine.
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!

Way Too Old For This

#6 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Wow, Kiwi, what a great principal ! I can't imagine ever complaining about what one of my kid's teachers was wearing...unless it was unappropriately too revealing. I remember a lot (good and bad) about my own and my kids teachers, but what they wore is not one of my memories.

I am one of those people who look pretty awful in braces. In fact I won't look that gorgeous when the braces come off, but I don't care really. I'm healthy and happy and hopefully make the people around me laugh a little.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.