Allergy/sensitivity to archwire?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

materialsgirl

Allergy/sensitivity to archwire?

#1 Post by materialsgirl »

Hi everyone! I did a search on this topic but there were only a few posts regarding nickel allergies. I was hoping to get some thoughts/advice on something before I call up my ortho about this...

I've had my braces on for 9 months now, but just recently, I've started developing some localized areas of inflammation on the insides of my cheeks - right where my upper archwire contacts the cheeks (on both sides of my mouth). They are VERY sore, to the point where I cannot sleep on my side at night because the pain is just too intense. This is a completely new problem for me, and it occurred to me that maybe I'm sensitive to something in the archwire. When he put my last archwire on (about a month ago), I remember him asking the assistant to get him a "Ni-Ti" wire. So I'm fairly certain there's nickel in this wire, but I'm just not sure if what I'm experiencing is a nickel allergy. I mean, surely I've had archwires before this that have contained nickel? So why am I just now having a reaction, after 9 months?

I should mention that I do get itchy when I wear gold jewelry, so it's possible I do have a nickel sensitivity. But I've never had this medically confirmed or anything - I just don't wear gold.

I'm just wondering what you all think of this, and if it's something worth bugging my ortho about. Maybe some of you have had a similar thing and can tell me what it is, and whether it will go away on its own. Thanks in advance for your time! :)

Pirate Wench

#2 Post by Pirate Wench »

Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time right now. It does seem weird that you would start to react after 9 months, but they say you can develope an allergy over night to anything.

I would talk to your ortho about what is happening for sure. I know when I first got my uppers, my ortho said that if I started to react to the braces there were different wires they can use instead.

HTH

Delag

#3 Post by Delag »

I agree with Pirate Wench - these things can develop over time. Give your ortho a jingle...that is what you are paying for :D