Loose Ceramic Brackets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

Loose Ceramic Brackets

#1 Post by iBorg »

I must be having a bad week. Two weeks ago I had a loose bracket on a tooth at the very front of my mouth, today I have one on a canine. Are the metal brackets any sturdier than the ceramics? I've just started this process and can't believe I've knocked two of these off already.

I've been careful with my eating and just find this an irritation. I believe I’ve been careful enough. I’m unaware of anything I’m eating that can lead to this problem. If the metal brackets are sturdier than the ceramics, I'm ready to switch to metal.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

cNp-21

ceramic brackets

#2 Post by cNp-21 »

Hey iBorg! I have had braces for two years now-getting them off November 15. I have ceramic on top and metal on bottom. The whole time I have had braces none of my ceramics have come off. I have had 2 or 3 metal come off. In my opinion the ceramic seem to stay on much better than metal.

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

That's a bummer, iborg. The only brackets that have come off my teeth are metal, the ceramics are quite OK.

diande

#4 Post by diande »

Hey, sorry about that. I have all ceramics and have had more than one (about 4 or 5) incidences of banging things into my teeth and brackets since I got them a month and a half ago. Nothing has come off at all...all I get are hurting teeth.

Maybe it's something to do with the glue/cement that was used....or do all ortho's use the same glue?
Upper and lower bonded retainers; Upper Hawley for night time

DEBANDED ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST 2008 - FINALLY!!!

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months

sportsgrl97

#5 Post by sportsgrl97 »

i only have metal brackets so i cant compare, but i have had lets see ahhmmmm 8 brackets come off and 1 of them i swallowed. maybe they just dont stick to my teeth well but from the impression im getting metal arent that good at staying put. ive had two come off in less then a month and its not like im just starting... im almost at 17 months

iBorg

#6 Post by iBorg »

I appreciate your words of wisdom. The only things I can think of that might have been a challenge for it are: a few small pieces of dark chocolate, two granola breakfast bars that were warm so they were gooey but not hard, and one hamburger.

I'm wondering if the ortho assistaint was having a bad day or the glue was challenged.

Mike
Last edited by iBorg on Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

JacquieMz

#7 Post by JacquieMz »

I have ceramic on the front teeth and metal everywhere else, and I haven't had any fall off (3.5 years and counting). The only thing I had was one of the ceramics chipped and now only 3 side of the bands hold the wire in, but it hasen't been a problem.

Jackie

ngbraces

#8 Post by ngbraces »

I got ceramic on the upper and metal on the lower teeth 3 weeks ago.
3 ceramic brackets have fallen off while the metal ones still stay on...
I was having a thought that I would change ceramic to metal on the next appointment when I read this post. I may change my mind...
However, I have a question: If the ceramic brackets stay that firmly on the teeth, why it always says that ceramic brace treament takes longer than the metal one?

Tin Indian

#9 Post by Tin Indian »

I've had 6 brackets that have fallen off so far. Some are ceramic and some metal, I just called my ortho's office and got them reattached. Only one of those came back off and that was a buccul tube on a gold crown. Ortho decided to put a band on that one and all is well now.Everyone that has fallen off was either on a ceramic or gold crown.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08