Went for a tooth cleaning and got more than that....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

IzzyCharm

Went for a tooth cleaning and got more than that....

#1 Post by IzzyCharm »

I went in for my annual teeth cleaning (the first time since my expander was put on). Well I guess the girl didn't know how to do x-rays with my expander in. FIRST she actually tried to PULL it out (I bit her). Then she jams the films in my mouth. I was in soooooooooo much pain by this point. I walked out of the office and called my ortho bc my expander has never been painful. I went into the ortho's office yesterday and they had to remove my expander and put it back in. I was quite upset. So do I call my dentist and explain what happened? I told him at the time but he said it was ok. Or should I just chalk it up to a bad visit?

bckydgardnr

#2 Post by bckydgardnr »

The assistant should have known better. Do you always have the same assistant? If you do next time if you still have the expander tell her that it needs to stay in place...that it is cemented in and it doesn't come out. Or, maybe you should have your ortho call the dentist's office and let them know.
gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

Ravishing

#3 Post by Ravishing »

I would make this known to the dentist. Maybe the assistant was new and had never encountered something like this before? Either wasy I think it needs to be addressed to that it doesn't happen to you or anyone else again.
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!

Kat

#4 Post by Kat »

I'll tell ya, not to be negative BUT anymore these younger assistants must be trained to not really give a crap about the patients feelings. The past bunch of years that's all you see they don't really care.

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

I'd write to the dentist and politely ask him to make his assistants aware that orthodontic patients sometimes have bonded devices, and that they need to check with the patient first before trying to remove anything!

And I'd ask to have it put on my notes in time for the next appointment.

IzzyCharm

#6 Post by IzzyCharm »

Thanks everyone. I'm sitting down to write them a letter right now. I have been going to this dentist since I was 7 and have never had any problems before. I had never seen this assistant before. When I was having my teeth cleaned my dentist made a joke about how he has been cleaning my teeth since I was her (the assistant's) age. So she was pretty young. I should have known when she went out and got someone else to come in and look at my expander that I was in toruble lol I think I'll send it registered mail or something so I know they got it. At least the pain has stopped. That's always a plus.

NotBob1

#7 Post by NotBob1 »

Call this in directly to the dentist him/herself!! That is absurd! Why would the assistant not know what an expander is, and if they didn't; then they should have asked someone! Wow.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

NotBob1

#8 Post by NotBob1 »

Hi Meryaten! Sorry I have been so elusive.......I barely get a moment to visit the site anymore.

I would have to disagree with you on this, though possibly it is an overgeneralization, it is, however, true that the generation below us is even worse than our generation in terms of customer service and responsibility. This is true in every field. It seems as if things have gone downhill in terms of personal responsibility and common sense since the generation that went through or were raised by depression era parents and had WWII in their lives. I just want to point out that there is a steady downturn in the competence of the generation below us. This, of course, does not apply to all and it may not even apply to half, but it is getting worse..... There is also the other side of: “Things are going to Hell in a hand basket, Mildred!â€
Pat

NotBob1

#9 Post by NotBob1 »

True enough. I do think there is some truth to it, though. :wink:
Pat