Adjustment questions/appt frequency

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dymond25

Adjustment questions/appt frequency

#1 Post by dymond25 »

Some was asking if I would be getting an expander and the answer is yes. Is it hard to turn the key. I will be getting an expnder for my upper arch, Will I do this on my own or will the Ortho be doing this at the time of my adjustments? Also, with the heated archwire how often or the adjustments appt? Once the braces are applied, how often after that will I need to see the ortho?

Wired1

#2 Post by Wired1 »

Yup, you get to crank your expander, unless you have someone at home who wants to do it for you :wink: You can always ask your ortho/tech to do it when you go in, but it's a daily exercise that you'll be doing for a few weeks, so you'll have to get used to it.

It's not really hard to do, but getting the key in the right place was difficult for me -- I had to use a dental mirror at first to find the slot. Some people get it right off the bat. My key was a plastic handle (like a popsicle stick) with a small rotating "z" shaped metal wire (~1.5mm dia) on it. Just stick the end of the wire into the hole in the middle of the expander and push towards the back of your mouth. You'll hear a creak and that's one turn.

By the time you have the process down pat, it'll be over.

Don't know about the heated archwire... As for appointments, it depends on what your ortho is trying to achieve during each particular phase, mine have been between 4 and 8 weeks apart for the past year.

Good luck!

dymond25

#3 Post by dymond25 »

Thanks, I will have to get me one of those mirror.

juf_84

#4 Post by juf_84 »

Hi dymond!

My adjustments have been between 6 and 9 weeks apart, so anything is possible.
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!