Gap closure

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceguy

Gap closure

#1 Post by braceguy »

Hi there,
Had upper 2 pre molars extracted. Am wondering what kind of movement is required to close up the gaps? I am pretty confused as from the way i see my canines and incisors, they have more or less straightened after 3 months but there seemed to be still a big gap to fill those empty spaces. So my questions to you all here is will the molars(the one with band) be required to be pulled towards the gap? I thought only those teeth(incisors and canines) need to be pulled inwards to cover spaces left my the extraction???

Gennel

#2 Post by Gennel »

I had 2 premolar extractions on top and they have gotten pretty straight in 3 months also. I have some gaps on the sides.My ortho is waiting for one tooth (lateral incisor) next to my front tooth to come completely forward. Then he has planned to put a powerchain all the way across all my top teeth. This will close all the gaps and bring my teeth a little bit back where they should be. Right now I noticed that my top teeth are slightly flaring out. Even if my smile looks straight ,I noticed when I close my mouth that my upper teeth show a slight overbite. This is one way that I know to close the rest of the gaps...

Gennel

bckydgardnr

#3 Post by bckydgardnr »

My ortho has been trying to close my premolar extraction for about 6 months. It just doesn't want to budge. I am going back every three weeks for new powerchains and it just doesn't seem to be working. I have an appointment next week, hopefully he will try something else...Is there something else other than powerchains to close and extraction gap like that??????
Gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

Joanna20

#4 Post by Joanna20 »

Gosh, If only I had any space in my mouth...!
My lowers took the space from my 3rd and 2nd molars and they will take all the space from my 1st premolars...!

I think that in case your teeth don't need to come inward any more, then your molars will go forward to cover that gap. My ortho told me that if on top we conclude that I didn't need all the space from my 1st premolars then we will bring my upper molars a little forward.

Good luck,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

braceguy

Closing gap

#5 Post by braceguy »

I always thought with my premolars removed from each upper side, there will be a big hole to fill by the rest of the canines and incisors. This is so even when the canines and incisors have been straightened out my the wires and elastics. So am i right to assume the arch size will in turn be also become smaller so that it will reduce the overall gaps caused by the extraction? Have always wondered how will the remaining teeth be able to fill the gaps???