How long did you wait?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dymond25

How long did you wait?

#1 Post by dymond25 »

Hello,

For those of you that had to have wisdom teeth extraction, how long did you wait or was instructed to wait before getting your braces? I have to get four wisdom teeth extracted. I am wondering if I can get braces a week after my teeth are pulled or is that too soon to get my braces. Also, did any of you get dissolvable stitches with your wisdom teeth extraction?

Thanks in advance.

jennandtonic

Re: How long did you wait?

#2 Post by jennandtonic »

Dymond25 Said:
Hello,

For those of you that had to have wisdom teeth extraction, how long did you wait or was instructed to wait before getting your braces? I have to get four wisdom teeth extracted. I am wondering if I can get braces a week after my teeth are pulled or is that too soon to get my braces. Also, did any of you get dissolvable stitches with your wisdom teeth extraction?

Thanks in advance.
It's too soon! Your gums swell up quite a bit so in most cases they want you to wait at least three weeks to a month before getting the braces put on. My stitches were dissolvable and all but one had dissolved by my post op appointment.

Jillianleab

#3 Post by Jillianleab »

I had all of my wisdom teeth removed May 4, then got my braces May 19. I was lucky and recovered from the extraction really well; minimal swelling, almost no bruising, and I had full range of motion back in my jaw after about four days. I'd tell the Dr. doing the extraction that you are getting braces and see what he/she advises. Also ask your ortho, just in case :)
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

Tin Indian

#4 Post by Tin Indian »

My wisdom teeth were extracted about 15yrs or so ago and it was non orthodontic event because they were broken.I just got braces this September but I would have needed them out for braces anyway.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

MrsF

#5 Post by MrsF »

Hi Dymond25,

I had 4 wisdom teeth pulled along with 3 bicuspids. Two weeks later I had braces put on. I think that was enough time, especially for where my wisdom teeth were pulled. Those sites healed up quite nicely around a week. I was more concerned that the bicuspid extractions were not ready, but it worked out fine. I had dissolvable stitches too.....I actually still had most of them by the time I got the braces on...those darn things just didn't want to come out! I ended up giving some of them a little tug and they just fell out around the three week mark. Good luck with your extractions!

Gennel

#6 Post by Gennel »

Everyone heals at a different rate. I had 6 extractions in one day with plenty of dissolvable stitches .I was suppose to get braces 2wks after but it turned into 3 and a half weeks only because I ended up with an infection on one tooth! Lots of my ortho's patients have gotten braces about 10 days after wisdom teeth extractions.

Gennel