Should I do it? Get braces or not? Need input fast (please)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ellebee

Should I do it? Get braces or not? Need input fast (please)

#1 Post by ellebee »

Hi, I'm new. And tomorrow I am supposed to get my spacers. Unless I chicken out.

I'm just past 50 and I haven't liked my teeth for a long time. They aren't terrible though. My bottom teeth are somewhat crooked but they don't show much. I have a slight overbite and my bite is off on one side.

Bottom line, the braces will improve my bite and my teeth will be prettier but it's not something I "have to" do. I've lived with my teeth this way so far.

Money. I have a lot of money left in my FSA that I will lose if I don't use it. Essentially the braces are paid for, between that and my insurance.

So, should I do it? Is it terrible to go through? Is it worth it? Am I just a vain old lady who wants to look better?

I've read a ton of the stuff on this site but I'd love some personal feedback.

Thanks!

Elle

Julie08

Yes

#2 Post by Julie08 »

I say GO FOR IT!!!

Better a vain old lady with straight teeth than a vain old lady with slightly crooked teeth who threw money away in her FSA!

Gennel

#3 Post by Gennel »

If your teeth bother you and your bite is off then you already have your answer there :) Go for it! I thought I was too old at 36 and my dentist told me that she has two patients both in their 70's! The 74 yr old just got her braces off and looks amazing. If the money is there then that's even a better reason!

Gennel

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I can so identify with what you're going through. I'm over 50, thought about it for decades, put it to one side, etc. etc. Yes, I'd lived with them for that long, what would another few decades mean between friends?

The thing is - as someone else has said - just to go for it. You're pretty much committed already.

The question to ask yourself is: when I'm in my eighties, do I want to ponder what might have been if I'd taken the plunge?

Ortho isn't the end of the world, it doesn't hurt much (if at all) and it's not about vanity. I'd be quite happy to walk away with improvements I've had to date (although I'm sure my ortho has other plans for me :evil: )

And, mate, you ain't old!

Joual

#5 Post by Joual »

Hi Elle! Welcome! Your description of your teeth sounds like my teeth. You deserve to be happy with your teeth and you deserve to have the proper bite. I think that getting braces is a great decision for you!

Delag

#6 Post by Delag »

:D If you read my post from one week ago it says something to the effect ' there is no way I can do this, I must be nuts'. One week later I am very happily braced. Attitude is everything. I gave myself time limits....first day to feel weird, 2-3 days to feel uncomfortable, one week for the braces to be part of me. It really did work - on day 4 (when I no longer had permission from myself to baby my teeth) I went out to eat with my hubby. There was no way I wasn't going to get that darn burger in my stomach! If you back away from doing this now, it will be even eaiser to put it off again and again. If you really hate it after they have been on for a couple of months, then you can just have them taken off. Looking foward to hearing how everything goes with your spacers.

ScottR

#7 Post by ScottR »

I say go for it.... I'm not braced yet but expect to be soon, I'm 49. :?

iBorg

#8 Post by iBorg »

I'm so much like you, its scary.
I'd set money aside in a spending account, which I was going to loose if I didn't spend it, so the money wasn't an issue.
I hated my teeth. They were hidden in my mouth so that I was self conscious of never showing my teeth when I smiled.
I could have been okay never doing anything to my teeth. With the exception of some bite and grinding issues they were healthy enough.

Then why did I do it? I DIDN"T LIKE MY TEETH. I'm almost two months into the process and am so thrilled with the results so far my only regret is not doing it sooner. The braces are not that noticeable. For the first time in years I can actually say I'm happy with them.

Pain may be an issue for some, but with the exception with a bout of TMJ, which could have been taken care of with over the counter medications, I've felt discomfort but not pain.

Ask your self two questions. Are you worth it? Are your teeth? If not, what are you going to do with the spending account? Give it away to the government?

Let's us know when you get your spacers. After you make it past that hurdle, things (and teeth) move quickly.

Good luck!

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Sweet L

#9 Post by Sweet L »

Go for it!!! :thumbsup:

If you don't like your teeth today, and you have the chance of doing something to change it... why wouldn't you do it?
Good luck! I hope that the advices will help you choose what's best for you .... :rose:

Dramagyrl

#10 Post by Dramagyrl »

I too would say go for it.

Something neat I've done for myself is made what I call a "life list". I've listed about 20 things I want to do with my life and I will direct my life in order to achieve them. Some of the items are vain, some are for pride and some are for that sense of accomplishment, that satisifaction that I will not have to ask myself "what if".

One of the first items on that list is to have beautiful, straight, white teeth. I'm working on the straight and I plan to follow-up with the white shortly after. My teeth weren't horrible at a glance and I could have lived with them, but I'm so proud to be doing this for myself and I will never have to "what if".

I'm sure you'll make the best decision for you, and all the best luck!

jcdamon3

#11 Post by jcdamon3 »

If it was free, for me I would have done it years ago. I was 46, now 47 and I wish I had done it sooner. I am just like you though, I never really loved my teeth, but didn't hate them either. They weren't all that bad, I just had a really miserable bite. Now that my bite is straightened out I can hardly believe the difference. I kept telling the ortho my bite was perfect and he kept making it even more perfect!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

erik

#12 Post by erik »

I agree with the other posters, that you tend to freak out the more you think about it. Once it is done, it is sort of anticlimactic. You just move on and work through the inconveniences...

Alot of the discussion on this board is therapeutic in nature, a way for us to discuss our issues and get thorugh them with all the support. So, you tend to hear every issue that could be had, and that can be a little overwhelming...

Besides, we make our kids do it! They get through it, so can we!

You know, I have noticed many, if not most, people are nervous. It also seems to me, with very rare exception, that pretty much everyone here does not regret their decision at all! I don't...

Go for it!!

Erik

Wired1

#13 Post by Wired1 »

Hi Ellebee! Sorry I missed the chorus of "do it!", but I hope you'll get back on here and tell us that you did it and how it went.

Heck, if you've got the money, a good ortho and a goal, why not be the best "you" you can be?! I look at my braces like jewelry or my glasses -- it's all enhancement!!
Class 2, Division 2
Expander 10/05-8/06
SARPE 11/05
Metal self ligating braces installed 11/05

ellebee

#14 Post by ellebee »

Wow. I love you guys. I couldn't get on the board all day, kept getting an error message, so I only saw the first response last night.

Anyway, I did it!

I got my spacers. I was so nervous. They had a hard time getting them in too, one broke. But now they are in, and so far they don't feel too bad. I'm going to take some Aleve now, just in case.

It was so great to get back and read all the encouragement -- even after the fact.

Thanks!

I hope to continue to participate in this forum and share experiences.

Elle

ellebee

#15 Post by ellebee »

Oops.
Last edited by ellebee on Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.