Extraction question updated...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

Extraction question updated...

#1 Post by newmetal »

Since looking at this site the majority of people who have had extractions had treatment times varying from 20 months to 24 months. Are there any exceptions? Does anyone have a shorter period or had a shorter period in braces predicted with extractions?

Many Thanks Guys

Newmetal
Last edited by newmetal on Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neelie

#2 Post by neelie »

I had three bicuspids extracted and my ortho is telling me I'll be in braces for 18 months....and I'm holding him to that unless it is less than 18 months!! I've only been in braces, ceramic on top, metal on bottom, for one month with my first "adjustment" on Nov. 8. Neelie

Joanna20

#3 Post by Joanna20 »

I think that in about a year I'll be done. I started in June 2006.
My treatment includes 4 premolar extractions.

Hope that helped,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

JumpTheDitch

#4 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I think my time's a bit shorter than most, Newmetal.

Planned treatment time is 14mths.

2 x upper second bicuspids extracted 1 week after braces (10mths ago).

So far my bite has opened up some but my molars no longer meet properly (making chewing interesting).

Extraction gaps are closing but slowly; I find it hard to believe I'll be done in 4 mths.

Have to wait and see I guess :roll:

Good Luck

newmetal

#5 Post by newmetal »

Thanks alot guys, i dont suppose there are any other extraction cases out there that can shed some light?

Thanks alot for answering peeps.

Newmetal

newmetal

#6 Post by newmetal »

Another question, how many months into your treatment did the ortho start to try and close the gaps? Also, how did he or she close the gaps??

Newmetal

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

I had a lower wisdom tooth pulled at 5 months (am 9 months into treatment now). I guess this is not really a case of having to close an extraction gap, rather it was more about enabling bite closure. I have an 18 month estimate and haven't heard any changes to that yet.

spideywoman

#8 Post by spideywoman »

:lol:

Hi there,

I may have a little experience with the whole extraction thing. I had 4 impacted molars removed when I was 18, while still awake. Then this summer I had 4 premolars pulled out in preparation for my new luvely braces. I am still waiting for the use of elastics and want these gaps CLOSED, but I have patience for now.

Joual

#9 Post by Joual »

The orthos I've had consults with have all said that I need extractions. One ortho said 20 months, another said 2 or 3 years, and the rest said about 2 years for treatment time.

cowlypso

#10 Post by cowlypso »

My first consult says 4 premolars extracted at an estimate time of 32 months. I'm currently working on second, third, fourth..... opinions. I'm not really excited about losing my teeth, so I'm checking out my options. Plus, 32 months is a long time!

Joual

#11 Post by Joual »

cowlypso, I had 7 opinions, so I encourage you to go ahead and get opinion after opinion until you're comfortable with choosing an ortho!

Natalie

#12 Post by Natalie »

before i got my fixed braces i had 4 extractions and then once that had settled an upper removable appliance to bring my canines back a little into the gaps. i was a bit naughty and didn't wear it as often as i should by my ortho seemed happy with the progress and now i have full metals, estimated time 9-12 months and i am assured that there will be no gaps by the end of treatment! because i've had the gas for so long now (about 8 months) i really don't pay too much attention to them and am not in a huge hurry for them to close. i was massively worried before the extractions thinking that everyone would see them but i just learned to talk and smile in a way that no one noticed them (my bf didn't notice for 6 weeks! ha ha. now i have my braces and the gaps are a little smaller i don't worry about trying to hide them, they're not too noticeable at all. hope that helps :)

Rickysa

Re: Extraction question updated...

#13 Post by Rickysa »

newmetal wrote:Since looking at this site the majority of people who have had extractions had treatment times varying from 20 months to 24 months. Are there any exceptions? Does anyone have a shorter period or had a shorter period in braces predicted with extractions?

Many Thanks Guys

Newmetal
Hi Newmetal!

A great deal of variables dictate overall treatment time...sometimes if a patient has severe crowding, there isn't any residual extraction space to close once all the teeth are aligned, and treatment can be quite quick!

If extractions are being done to correct an "overbite", for example and a lot of space has to be closed, it can take longer.

In general, spaces close at a rate of about 1mm/month, so that can give you a ballpark timeframe...and treatment to begin closing spaces doesn't usually begin until the teeth are aligned and a heavy "full dimentional" archwire is in place, which can be several months into treatment.

Dr. S