Metal Bracket Popped Off!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sylver Ice

Metal Bracket Popped Off!

#1 Post by Sylver Ice »

When I woke up this morning, I ran my tongue across one of the brackets on the molars (far, top right bracket). I noticed something sort of moving, and figured it was probably one of the 'glue' build-ups. When I opened my mouth to look at what exactly it was, I found a loose bracket!

The bracket was dangling on the wire. I slid it off and have kept it. I called my Ortho's office, but they're not in until Monday (it's Saturday here). My question for all you experts out there is:

1. Can I wait until end of day Monday to go see my Ortho? (Is it really an emergency situation?)

2. The bare wire is now jabbing into my cheek. I've tried putting wax on, but it won't stick, in fact, the wire goes right through the wax (I've tried both types of wax, silicon and the harder one). Can I cut the wire? Is it advised or should I just stick some gum on it?

Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated!!!

Many thanks!!

ishasha

#2 Post by ishasha »

Since I just had my morgan bumpers on, I am wondering if it might help with your situation. Some people here have something similar to morgan bumpers. But if you don't have them, it's probably too later to order because it seems like you can only order it online.

Good luck.
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007

sportsgrl97

#3 Post by sportsgrl97 »

ya it defiantly can wait until monday... i swallowed one of mine back in the very beginning of october and we called and they said it was no emergency and i can come in in november which is the earliest appt. they had available. well then a week or a week and a half ago my front top one came loose too and it wont be fixed till tueday either so waiting 2 days wont kill u... wht stage r u in treatment.. if its the beginning it doesnt really matter as much as if u were in the end and i get my braces off january 18 and they arent treating it as an emergency for me so i doubt it would be for u

Sylver Ice

#4 Post by Sylver Ice »

Thanks, you guys are awesome! I used the sugar-free Gum and it has sort of helped. I hope I can go in to see my Ortho on Monday and get this fixed.

Thanks again everyone! :)