Apicoectomy Re-do -- Your thoughts?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Wired1

Apicoectomy Re-do -- Your thoughts?

#1 Post by Wired1 »

Hey all, I could use some experiences and guidance here.

A few weeks ago, my ortho tech found an abcess on a molar that has already been root canaled, and apicoectomied. It's #3, upper right, where my expander had been placed.

Quick explanation of the original apico (12 years ago): an abcess formed when the root canal failed, due to the tip plug coming out. The root tip was removed, the abcess was removed/treated and the remaining root tip was re-plugged.

I went to an endodontist who said he could re-do the apico and save the tooth, albeit with a higher chance of failure than the original apico, since the root is already short. If the apico fails, he's have to pull the tooth and fall back to an implant.

Then I went to my oral surgeon who did my maxillary expansion. He said that he could re-do the apico too, but suggested that an implant would be a surer route. His concern is that since I am in the middle of ortho, the tooth will continue to be subjected to stress and will have an even higher chance of failure. But, I would have to have the tooth extracted and bone graft done now and then wait until my ortho treatment is complete to do the implant.

My dentist said he would go with a re-apico, but then again, he doesn't have to worry about dental insurance and whether they will cover re-treating the tooth in case of total failure.

Long story... end point: has anyone gone through a second apico and if so, what's your story? Any help you can give me would be super appreciated! I hate the thought of losing a tooth, but don't want to throw good money after bad and continue having abcesses/toxicity in my system...
Class 2, Division 2
Expander 10/05-8/06
SARPE 11/05
Metal self ligating braces installed 11/05

susieq182

#2 Post by susieq182 »

one apico was plenty for me. if for some reason mine failed and need redone I would totally opt for an implant. My dentist did the root canal and it failed because i have hooked roots. and the apico was no picnic because i was fully awake for the procedure since i couldnt afford the be sedated. aside from the general pain and discomfort of oral surgery having my mouth open like that for so long really made my TMJD flare up i was in pain for weeks. but thats just my thought on the subject. I just wouldnt want to take the chance of going through the pain of another apico when there is an option that has a better chance of success.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

Wired1

Any implant stories?

#3 Post by Wired1 »

Thanks SusieQ! I wasn't knocked out for the apico either, but they had everything numbed up well. Now that you mentioned it, I remember feeling like my jaw had been hit by a Mac truck.

Yeah, if I wanted to run some sort of stat program, I'm sure I'd find that the implant has a higher rate of success, I guess it's just the idea of losing a tooth after all these years that bugs me. Plus being in the middle of ortho isn't the best time to have major dentistry.

Anybody have an implant and willing to share their story?

Thanks again!
Class 2, Division 2
Expander 10/05-8/06
SARPE 11/05
Metal self ligating braces installed 11/05