How hard to learn a new language with braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EKline309

How hard to learn a new language with braces?

#1 Post by EKline309 »

So I'm going to be learning French in the coming year, as I need a language to graduate college, and I was wondering how hard it will be with braces. Do they interfere a lot with pronunciation???

Caroline

#2 Post by Caroline »

I speak both English (duh, obviously!!) and French fluently and it never caused any problems for me. I can't see how braces would hinder your learning. Good luck with the class, and feel free to drop me a line if you need help!
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

akabraces

#3 Post by akabraces »

No worries about foreign languages. I am a linguist and speak more languages than I can keep track of. I am currently also adding Czech and Russian to my arsenal and thought the braces and bite plate would interfere but they don't at all. Sometimes having a bite plate is actually an advantage to make some of those Slavic sounds! The FUNNIEST thing is that when I went to my first Russian class after getting my bite plate, the teacher announced that we were going to be doing RUSSIAN tongue twisters! You can imagine how mortified I was to try those--BUT what better way to get good at speaking than practicing with Russian tongue twisters!!! It was like braces/bite plate boot camp!!!!!!

*aka

Keith

#4 Post by Keith »

The first part about learning a new language is mostly listening and reading the words., comprehension. Speaking, or speaking it fluently does not come for a long time. We tend to concentrate so much on the correct words, we pay little attention to fluency and accent, so you are fine.

PS- I just started learning spanish and I'm going to spend a month in Mexico this January. I can still sopeak English fine, so I don't think braces put me at any disadvatange!

nico07

#5 Post by nico07 »

Not at all hard. I did 4 different languages (French, German, Spanish and Russian) as an undergrad-all with braces on.

Though, I will say, when I did German I had a bite plate and that made it a bit hard.