OK, braced in Oman...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sultanatoman

OK, braced in Oman...

#1 Post by sultanatoman »

Alrighty - I got to my 8:45 appointment and upon entering the office my ortho was eagerly awaiting my arrival with a big grin! :lol:

First thing - he took pics of my teeth, then showed me the brackets and we were ready to roll. I think KK suggested I use lip balm before I went to my appt, so a big THANK YOU for that because wow - my lips were stretched out double time, I think! :oops:

All in all, it took about 45 minutes for the whole process, top and bottom. I didn't have to have spacers and instead had the Tube-Bonded Brackets (or was it bonded tube-brackets?!?). I opted for silver lig's (will go all out wild next time - since my brackets aren't all lined up, I thought I would go for something rather subtle).

I think the most painful (and it wasn't really painful at all) was not biting down and keeping a space between my uppers and lowers. The glue - I didn't taste it really and honestly, it smelled like the glue used when getting acrylic nails done. I couldn't help but think that my mouth smelled like newly done fingernails! :shock:

I can say that the first 24 hours I felt 'weird'. I remember immediately telling my ortho that my top jaw felt like it was being pulled in a different direction than the bottom. He said that was normal. A few hours later, I didn't feel that sensation any longer. I think right at the 24 hour mark was when I felt achiness. Oh- I remember about 4 hours after they were put on one of my lower teeth in the front was aching noticeably. I don't have that feeling anymore because now ALL of my teeth ache. I've had to take ibuprofen twice to take the edge off, but I really think I could 'tough it' if I HAD to.

Eating, well that's another story. A little background - I'm American, married to an Omani and well, Omani's love their food! Breakfast is light, Lunch is massive and Dinner is also light. Family invites are frequent - as in every other day. And, when you're invited, you just can't say no! The food is nothing less than a feast and always includes rice, either a curry or stew or a meat / chicken / fish dish. On top of that are salads and chutneys/pickles and fresh juices. After a lunch, you MUST stay for some coffee that's so strong that you can only drink about 1-2 Tablespoons at a time in tiny little coffee cups with some dates, fresh fruits or if you're real lucky, some cakes or sweets to die for. Friday, we were invited to one of these lunches and I thought I.was.going.to.die. The dish of the day was rice, salad, yoghurt and a meat dish that is cooked in a pit for about 24 hours. I was miserable, but made it through like a trooper as not to upset my dear father-in-law. It was the first time I made a silent plea to God for them not to have fresh fruits OR sweets because for sure I would be in tears! :cry: Obviously my prayers were answered because the dessert of the day was a chocolate pudding layered with biscuits that were soft! Although in throbbing pain, I gladly accepted the dessert and even went back for more!

Today is day three and I'm still sore, if not more.

I really went into the whole ordeal with getting braces expecting the worst and hoped for the best (or is it the other way around?!?). I've felt worse pain and I know I can make it through this. So far, the brackets haven't bothered me around my lips, but I keep wax on the tube brackets because they rub a bit.

I'm so happy that I found this board and hope to use it as a source of support when I need it. :wink:

lillibut

#2 Post by lillibut »

Im soooooooo jelous of all that yummy food!

Congrats on being braced! The pain will be worth it!

Lyn

#3 Post by Lyn »

Awesome story!! And Welcome Aboard! :-1

Congrats on getting banded! The pain will ease up soon......trust me.....at least until the next adjustment :lol: Good for you in making this decision. The time will fly by quickly! Keep a positive attitude. The board is awesome for support and sympathy.

Take Care! :dance:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

sultanatoman

#4 Post by sultanatoman »

Thanks for all of your support! I really appreciate it! One thing I forgot to mention - last night before I went to bed, I got all clamy - like I was going to have a fever. Do you think my body went into a sort of 'trauma' due to the braces? I feel ok now, but last night I think my pain sort of 'peaked'.

Yes, the food is yum here but oh so dangerous to the thighs! :lol:

ghostmyimag3

#5 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

OMG your doing better than me ha ha
I just managed to eat an egg and a biscuit this morning. I quit when my jaw started aching. Congratulations on the braces!
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

Betty Bat

#6 Post by Betty Bat »

I've got to agree with the comments on the food! You gave me a real craving for chocolate pudding!

Some other food comments: Fruit is fine if you cut it up - hopefully, you will be able to do that. And, I find that rice is a hard thing to eat because it's just the right size to fit in between my wires and my teeth. Before anyone else says it, I'll give you the tumeric warning - not sure what type of braces you have, but tumeric (in curry and perhaps some other food you are about to eat like some pickled things) will stain anything that is rubbery such as ligs and powerchains.

I often feel a little lightheaded after my appointments, but I thought that was because of the reclining chair. Haven't felt clammy - could it be just a release of the tension/anxiety of getting braces?

sultanatoman

#7 Post by sultanatoman »

Thanks for the heads-up Betty! We don't really use turmeric per se in the Omani dishes (well some do, but in our family, we don't). If we eat indian pickles, then yes you're right - there's lots of turmeric in those! Didn't think about that one...

Rice - tell me about it getting stuck! There are tons of different dishes and since we use Basmati rice, when cooked properly, it's not a sticky rice and the grains are separate. It also depends on the dish and of course which cook is making the meal for the day. Luckily, it was pretty 'mushy' buy oy - it nearly killed me. After the incident with that meal, I swear just thinking about crunch apples or carrots truly frighten me! Yesterday I accidently bumped my upper teeth on the lower brackets and it was like a shock went through my body!

I have metal braces and I chose silver ligs so I wouldn't have to worry *too* much about the staining.

One thing that I find most embarrassing (and I'm not sure why because I'm completely alone in the bathroom) is spitting after rinsing. I feel like I've lost all muscle control in my lips and cheeks and the water/mouthwash sort of plops out (didn't know water can actually do that!). Ya would have thought a tidal wave came through after I'm done with the sink. I was in a panic at f-i-l's house cleaning up the puddles! :oops:

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

Hi sultanatoman,

Sounds like you're eating well over there!

I've also only got buccal tubes on my molars, and was spared the spacers trip like you. They did irritate a bit in the beginning, nothing a bit of wax won't fix though.

ellebee

#9 Post by ellebee »

Hi Sultanatoman -- it's day three for me too (I think, not counting the day I was braced). I'm doing better. Only using wax on one spot now, rinsing with warm salt water (really helps), eating mostly soft, mushy foods (yogurt for breakfast, pancakes and eggs for lunch, dinner yesterday was tomato soup and tuna salad and ice cream).

I still feel the braces as being very large and cumbersome in my mouth. I'm really wishing I had gotten the smaller, flatter metal brackets. I got the Mystique brand ceramic bracket that self-ligates and they have a high profile. They are little square blocks with sharp edges. I don't feel a bit like Tom Cruise.

So far I haven't forgotten for one waking minute that the hardware is in my mouth. I assume in a week or two I will.

I'm still feeling self-conscious about going back to work Monday. And even more self-conscious about my fiance coming home Wednesday. I know he loves me and will support me, but I think he is in for a shock when he sees me.

And of course we are heading into the holiday season, which means lots of food and parties and socializing. Right now I am wondering if I can just hide for the next 6 to 12 to 18 months. I hope that feeling goes away soon!

Carry on,

Elle
Spacers, Nov. 1; Braced Nov. 8, 2006; Braces off March 26, 2008, just short of 17 months. Glad it's over but the jury is still out on whether the game was worth the candle.

lionfish

#10 Post by lionfish »

Did someone mention the holiday season? Bring it on!! I wish we had thanksgiving here (would happily swap it for Halloween - :evil: ) - I love turkey. :D

lionfish

#11 Post by lionfish »

Meryaten wrote:
Did someone mention the holiday season? Bring it on!! I wish we had thanksgiving here (would happily swap it for Halloween - :evil: ) - I love turkey. :D
Heh and frankly dealing with food and braces is easier than that perennial party problem - the "plate in one hand, glass in the other, now how the heck do I actually eat anything?" problem!
Funny you should mention that, but I had that very problem last night - champers in one hand, plate of food in other. I eventually put the bubbles on the floor so that I could eat!

Strange how we always get back to the topic of food....

ssfw

#12 Post by ssfw »

Congratulations on getting your braces sultanatoman. It seems you haven't had alot of pain and have adjsuted to having braces - that's great. Everyone is different, some have alot of pain for a period of time and some very little discomfort. I have been lucky and have had no pain but I do admit I feel pressure (not pain) when I am getting new ligs or a powerchain - I hope my luck continues. I haven't had to take any pain relievers.

Keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

cbushnaq

#13 Post by cbushnaq »

Hi sultanatoman,
I too am an American married to a man from the Middle East (we are living in the states and all his family lives within a 20 mile radius) and I can completely relate to your eating situation. I also have an expander in and all rice and salads go right underneath it and under my wires and clings to my brackets, ugh! And my m-i-l gets very upset if I do not eat or if she thinks I'm not eating enough.
I've decided to always go with dark colored ligs so that I do not have to worry about staining. It's too hard to turn down all that good food. So far I have found that if I try I can find away to eat most things.

C.