Cemented Wire?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Azalin

Cemented Wire?

#1 Post by Azalin »

Today at my appointment, my orthodontist cemented a wire behind a few of my bottom teeth. Does anyone know what this does?

Attagirl2

#2 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Azalin. Like KK said, it is probably like a bonded retainer. I got my braces off a couple of weeks ago and my orthodontist cemented in a wire behind my lower, front six teeth. (only cemented on the two outside ones). This retainer stays there as long as I want my bottom teeth to remain where they are.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

onny

#3 Post by onny »

When I got my treatment plan, I got explained these bonded retainers and that I will get them too after my treatment, so my teeth stay straight forever.

How come that you get an appliance and don't have a clue about what it does, don't you talk to your ortho, especially if you are curious?
Sep03/2007 6th adjustment.
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
36 month top and bottom metal. All 8 molars banded now. Bioprogressive technic and HG some day.
My Braces Journey Blog.

Azalin

#4 Post by Azalin »

He hardly ever explains anything. But does this mean I'll have the wire on for a while?

Also, at the appointment, I got impressions taken for a retainer. He said I'll get my braces taken off next month :D

Attagirl2

#5 Post by Attagirl2 »

Azalin, what you have then is a permanent bonded retainer for your bottom teeth. Congratulations about your up-coming debanding :!:
It is not unheard of for the bottom permanent retainer to be there for 5 years before it works it's way off. At that time if you want those teeth to remain as they are, you will have to get it put back on, or wear a removeable lower retainer...
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

rsprouse

#6 Post by rsprouse »

Also what to do when/if it comes loose/off etc.
Bonded retainers vary in how long they last, hopefully the life of your teeth. It should be checked by your Dentist at regular checkups (every 6 months). If it comes loose it simply needs to be "reglued". It is easier to do while the brackets are still on.

Good Luck,
Rory