Lost weight?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MarvinBrace

Lost weight?

#1 Post by MarvinBrace »

Hi everybody,
i just typed a new subject about weight loss/gain with braces, but it was in the wrong forum (bracket club). Sorry i'm just an amateur at this. :oops:
I just want to know if someone has lost weight with braces and have kept it off. Or will it come back when you get used to the braces? :roll:

You can also see the same subject at the other forum. :wink:

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

I've lost 6 lbs in 2 1/2 years and never gained it back.
Ok, so its not much, but I'm not overweight to begin with...well, not by much anyway. :lol: :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

I lost a bit during the early weeks, but regained a portion of it after that. As summer is here, I wouldn't mind taking it off again! But that will require the same application as if I didn't have braces.

MarvinBrace

#4 Post by MarvinBrace »

Thanks for the information "lionfish" and "chris". :dance:

tomjscott

#5 Post by tomjscott »

Very sadly for me I lost about 8 lbs after having braces for a few weeks. Considering I was already a very thin 136 lbs, I certainly didn't want to lose any weight. After about 3 months, I am finally creeping back up, but still need to gain some more to get back where I was. I'm not exactly your normal case though. I've weighed between 130 - 136 since high school back in 1984 and have never fluctuated much. So for me, an 8 lb loss is pretty dramatic. An 8 lb gain would be even more dramatic.

susieq182

#6 Post by susieq182 »

i lost alot of weight at the begining fairly fast, but i must be good at finding things cause all the lbs i lost i seem to have found. I dont think it is normal to drop alot of weight from braces I had a hard time adjusting to my bite plate so thats what i felt made me loose weight and now that i dont have that to deal with I have returned to eating anything that i want.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

Danielle

#7 Post by Danielle »

The only time I lost weight was right after my extractions... other than that I think I've acutally gained a pound or two.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

ChooChooo

#8 Post by ChooChooo »

I have lost about 8lbs, but I had the stomach flu the weekend before I got my braces and from that l had already lost 5lbs. I am not sad to have lost the weight as I had about 15lbs of postpartem weight to lose anyway. I think the weight loss will be permanent as my most favorite snacks (doritos, and almond SPAMMER) are forbidden. Probably for the better as I was indulging too often anyway. :oops: :)
BTW I have only been braced for ~ 1week.

finally

#9 Post by finally »

Danielle, where did you get your extractions taken out? Are they obvious? Mine are and I hate it! I'm 30 years old and acting like such a little whine bag but I can't help it.

How long will it take to close the gap?? My lower teeth were pretty straight to me but my ortho said I had an extra incisor.

Danielle

#10 Post by Danielle »

finally--I had four premolar extractions (one in each "corner" of my mouth). I had a lot of crowding so almost instantly the gaps were gone... right now there is just one left (and even then it's not that obvious).

I'm 28 and if I had a $1 for everytime I said "does this look normal" I'd be wealthy enough to sleep in tomorrow. How many extrations did you have? My theory is the better the teeth the longer it takes for improvement... stange, but I liken it to losing weight... an obese person can burn fat rather quickly at first--but when you start out needing to lose 10 pounds that can take forever.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

laina

#11 Post by laina »

I've lost about 15 pounds since being braced about 7 months ago. I wasn't trying to lose weight, but I find it's too much of a hassle to eat like I had before braces. So, as a result I hardly ever snack because it's such a process to eat anything anymore.

finally

#12 Post by finally »

Danielle - I had three extractions in the last week. the noticeable one is the lower incisor; next to the middle one so very very noticeable. I just started a new job and so you can imagine how I feel. I had my wisdom teeth pulled out before so I'm hoping this is the last one they need to take out. I'm so drained from worrying about it and being self conscious and there's nothing I could do about it so I'm just going to do think good thoughts about how beautiful my smile will be in a couple years... :D

finally

I've lost weight too - and love it!!

#13 Post by finally »

I've lost about 5 pounds since having my braces put on and extractions. I love it. It's not such a bad thing either because I can't eat sweets like I used to. I'm too worried about cavities. Like I heard from someone else on this post I eat out of necessity now and not for enjoyment.

finally

#14 Post by finally »

I just think this is a good time to cut sweets out of my diet. I do want to eat right though, my teeth are still sore.

ishasha

#15 Post by ishasha »

Well I have had upper braces for a month but I haven't lost an ounce. :cry: I kind of hope that I would but that hasn't happened and I don't think it'll happen for me. I am not realy bothered at eating. I pretty much avoided using my incisors but the molars are still good. I have molar buildup to prevent teeth from biting into each other so I can't bite well but that still doesn't bother me from eating "sort-of" normally. :oops: On one hand, I had hoped I would lose weight but on the other hand I'm happy that I can still eat 99.999% of the food I eat before. :oops: So I 'm not sure this is good or bad... Oh, and, by reading a lot of cases, I think females are more patient while guys are usually not, so in most of the cases it's the guys who lost weight. ---just my understanding.
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007