Please tell me this is normal!! I need help...I'm a newbie.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cristie

Please tell me this is normal!! I need help...I'm a newbie.

#1 Post by Cristie »

I just got braced yesterday morning and at first I had no pain at all. Well, last night the pain started and it feels like someone hit me with a baseball bat right in the mouth. I'm so sore and I'm taking tylenol, but it doesn't seem like it's working. Is this normal? Please tell me this will go away soon. If they tylenol doesn't work will my ortho prescribe me something stronger? It's 3:30 am right now and I can't sleep. I'm just hoping this pain goes away soon, it feels like pressure in all my braced teeth. Right now I feel like this.. :-((

Saki

#2 Post by Saki »

Hi, that sounds horrible, I'm so sorry you're in such pain. I'm not braced yet so I don't know if it's normal, but I remember seeing on the Braces FAQ on the main Archwired site that Lynn (the site owner) said that for her it felt like she'd been hit in the teeth with a baseball bat too. Have a look under 'How braces feel'.
Sounds like maybe it is normal for some people, at least at first. Can you try some different painkillers?

Hope you get some sleep and try not to worry too much.

true_jaat

#3 Post by true_jaat »

Dont worry Cristie, its very normal to feel pain/teeth being loose etc. when you first get braced. All you gotta think about is 1 week - in 1 week you will feel a lot better I can almost gurantee it. Take comfort from the fact that the first week is probably the most painful (atleast for me it was) out of the whole braces experience.
The future depends on what we do in the present.

neelie

#4 Post by neelie »

My ortho gave me a prescription for Tylonal with Codeine. I only took one pill the first night I was braced and then I took over the counter Tylonal for the next several days. My ortho told me I would have a lot of pain for the first 24 hours....and he was right.
It does get better each day.

Attagirl2

#5 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Christie. You are very normal! Yes it feels like a baseball bat, did for me too. Try taking ibuprophin instead of the Tylenol, if you can. I buprophin reduces swelling, which is happening as your teeth shift. As the others stated, it will get better as the days progress.

I wish you well on your journey, :frogbraces:
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Cristie

#6 Post by Cristie »

Thanks. I was really worried last night and this morning at least the pain is tolerable. I'm still very sore. I'm pregnant, so Ibuprofin is out, but I know some painkillers are acceptable. Now it feels like half my mouth is in pain. Ugh, and tommorow is Thanksgiving :(

ishasha

#7 Post by ishasha »

The first night I put my upper braces on, I woke up at around 3 am to feel some soreness/being-pushed feelings. Then it never happened again, the soreness diminished gradually. Occasionally, when I accidentally hit my teeth, I feel real sore and itchy, but it goes away in a few minutes. When I had my wires changes, I feel a lot of sorness and itchyness too. I never need to take any pain killer. But different people feel these at different levels. In all, you will be fine soon. I also heard pregancy might cause the gum to bleed or something so you might feel extra soreness. Take good care.
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007

SDFD TSchott

#8 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Thats odd, I guess everyone is different I was told that I would have severe pain the first 24 hours of being braced but to shock I am I had no pain at all.

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

finally

#9 Post by finally »

I had no pain the first day and a splitting headache the next morning. I had to call in sick it was so bad. It's a week in and I've had 3 extractions already and I feel fine. It's still a little sore but it's to be expected. I thought the pain was going to be worse but I haven't been adjusted yet. I'm sure that will hurt like heck.

finally

#10 Post by finally »

I wish I would've asked more questions. Braces entail monthly adj, no? I thought that was how you teeth get straight. What do I know, I just pay for them.

I can't wait to see improvement!!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

2 Corinthians 4:17

"Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a battle." -Plato

lionfish

#11 Post by lionfish »

finally wrote:I wish I would've asked more questions. Braces entail monthly adj, no?
Not necessarily. My adjustments have ranged from 4-8 weeks, depending on what needs to be done at particular stages of treatment.

Gennel

#12 Post by Gennel »

Aww Cristie, whenI saw the little crying icon I imagine how miserable you are feeling right now. It is totally normal to have this discomfort for the first couple of days. Orthos never really go into detail desribing the pain you might or might not feel. My ortho tells me " your mouth might feel a little funky for a few days" which means " you might get cuts and scrapes/sores or You might not be able to chew anything solid up to 6 days ! lol
Just know one thing Cristie: any discomfort you might feel after adjustments is temporary. Some adjustments are not painful at all.
The best advice I can give you is to keep taking Extra strength Tylenol or Motrin, do warmwater salt rinses, Buy wax ASAP and use it on brackets that are causing sore areas.

Gennel