Bone Graft??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

redsfn77

Bone Graft??

#1 Post by redsfn77 »

Has anyone had to get a bone graft to replace missing bone or know anyone who has? I was in the Air Force and when I had my wisdom teeth taken out, the genius military dentist (imagine the one from Little Shop of Horrors) decided to remove another tooth and I now have a space there that will be filled with a cosmetic after the teeth are straight. He talked about adding bone from a graft and didn't know if anyone has heard of this. Thanks for any information!!

22 Days since I was braced

Danielle

#2 Post by Danielle »

I'm scheduled to have bone grafts when I have my wisdom teeth removed sometime in 2007. My dentist recommended them because I had some perio issues due to overcrowding prior to becoming braced and because they're supposed to keep my teeth from sliding back into the vacant area where my wisdom teeth were (once the braces are removed). I was told at my initial consult that the bone graft they'd use comes from a organic material (not a cadaver) and once in place will take a couple of months to completely attach itself to my bone and should feel like it was always there... if this will really happen I don't know... but let us (especially me) know how your bone grafts go--because I've yet to find someone in a similar spot.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

redsfn77

You will know before me..

#3 Post by redsfn77 »

Thanks for the information!! I have tried to find information online about grafting related to teeth and there really isn't a lot of information out there. More than likely, I will have mine done after the braces are off. His plan is to get the teeth aligned and then put the graft in and then as soon as that is completed, put the cosmetic in place of the space. I hate military doctors. I appreciate your two cents!!

22 days since braces went on

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

I'll be getting bone grafts after braces, either with the implant (if there is enough bone to place the implant) or as a separate surgery. They will be taking my own bone from the wisdom tooth area. They can also take it from the chin area. Your own bone is the best I've been told. There are also either cadaver bone or synthetic bone. Been told by others that grafting is alittle more painful than placing the implants as your gum is stretched over the graft and the area where the graft is taken is usually also alittle more "uncomfortable". One doctor I interviewed used BIO-OSS which would generate bone formation. He also said this was the most (I hate to use the word painful) part of the procedure but I'm sure after a week you would start to feel better.

Like everything else, everyone has different experiences in the pain arena. After the bone grafts, they will wait 4 to 6 months before placing the implants.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Danielle

#5 Post by Danielle »

Redsfn77 I've had a hard time finding info too... everything is gum grafts and no bone grafts.

Chris I think you've managed to freak me out a little... I don't want more pain! Now, I'm definitely talking to my Orthodontist/Dentist about this stuff at the next visit.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

Sorry, Danielle, I tried hard not to use the word "pain". :wink:

If and when you feel brave, check this website out:
http://www.dental-implants.com/bone_graft.html

Hey, I'm going through with it no matter what. Think of it like pregnancy, you have to go through CHILDBIRTH in order to get that cute baby! :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007