anyone regret putting color ligs at our age?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracedgrill

anyone regret putting color ligs at our age?

#1 Post by bracedgrill »

I am 22, female and live in Jersey (U.S.). I am still in college. I have had clear braces with clear ligs for about 3 months now, my 2nd adjustment is next week. I have seen the posts on the different color ligs, I think they are kinda cool!

I already have a baby face, my friends make fun and say if I get color ligs it will make me look childish. I kind of agree with them but at the same time I would like to experiment. But what if I regret it and will be stuck for the holidays with color in my mouth that looks "corney" or "wack"? Has anyone with clear braces/ligs regretted it? Should I stick to what looks best to me or just take a chance and be different?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

bracedgrill

#2 Post by bracedgrill »

also, keep in mind that i go to clubs alot...although it sounds superficial, what will the guys think? lol

Delag

#3 Post by Delag »

Think of it kind of like a haircut - if you don't like it, it will always grow. In this case it is pretty easy to change your ligs. I have read on here that some orthos will even let you come in between adjustments to change them. (I wish I could have color - spice things up a bit). Have fun and enjoy being young - if you spend your life being worried about what others think, you will miss out on a lot of fun and self discovery.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I'm 41 and I have coloured ligs! But I guess I'm not that bothered about what other people think. I just do it because it cheers me up.

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

I'd go for it! Having fun with your braces is a sign you're not ashamed of them. As a guy, I'd view it as a sign of a fun person who is confident.

Mike
Last edited by iBorg on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

ghostmyimag3

#6 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I want colors on mine so bad i can taste it and as of today i'm 30. I dont think age has anything to do with it. But i have to wait til my teeth get straighter in order to wear them. Be thankful you can go ahead with them!! If your not ashamed of your braces noone else will think any different
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

24KSmile

#7 Post by 24KSmile »

Be bold & give it a try!! You'll be surprised how good it makes you feel to do something different.

One thing I've learned is that people who DON'T have braces don't even notice them on others. It's those of us who do that are more aware.

overseasmel

#8 Post by overseasmel »

I'm 27 and have just had braces a couple of weeks. A week before Christmas I'm going in for my first adjustment, and I am going to switch from clear ligs to coloured for the holiday season. Mostly this is because I want to eat and drink more freely over Christmas and New Year. I wasn't sure what colours to go, but since I am going to watch Australia play England in a test match (cricket) during that period, I thought I would go country colours and do alternating green and gold. Here's hoping I don't look like an idiot. ;)

I know its difficult being in the in-between-age and having braces. In your teens you're just like everyone else; in a few years time I'm hoping I'll be more settled into me and into a family life and probably not care too much about what strangers think of me; but us singles in our 20s and 30s get to test the whole question of what aspects of appearance make a difference amongst our sometimes superficial peers. But anyway, I think the holiday season is the time to mess around with things a bit- you'll be with family and friends, many of whom are probably going to be drunk ;), so it's as good a time as any to experiment.

You can always go back to clear later!

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

Dovechild20

#9 Post by Dovechild20 »

Im 27 years old as well and I at first was self concious about bold colors because i didnt want to be taken less seriously and all that jazz.

The fact of the matter is, this is my mouth and im in these braces for the next 2 years at the least so anyway I can enjoy this experience more, i will do! lol

Do what you like!

Qtgirl

#10 Post by Qtgirl »

Hey bracedgrill! I think very soon youre gonna have some colored ligs. :wink: When I first got my braces I wondered the same thing. I mean even my own bf said I shouldnt get colored ligs...Now--he's the one recommending which color to choose :roll: :wink: I have not regretted getting them for sure, actually I want to try even more colors before my braces come off--and Im 27. I started my color ligs when my teeth were more straight--I was queen of the world, and had to show it off. Your friends are doing what friends normally do in cases like this--make fun, lol...well at least thats what mines did when I told them about getting braces, etc. But afterwards, something funny happened--they didnt laugh at me or give crazy jokes...they think its cute. Guys on the other hand--I dont know what they think of colored ligs--but my guy loves em. Maybe you can start with a subtle color?

Edited**OMG, lol I just realized my avatar! I need to post a new picture.

PrincessMelody

#11 Post by PrincessMelody »

I am the same age as you and look VERY young for my age, but I have all metal (couldn't afford clear) so I can't really hide them. I say go for it. Who cares what other people think! Get what will make you happy. I get all kinds of different colors... whatever I am in the mood for. I am definately getting red and green at my next adjustment for Christmas. I am taking Christmas pictures with my family and want to make my teeth festive :D
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

wonderstuf

#12 Post by wonderstuf »

You could always try keeping clear on the top and putting a color on the bottom, maybe sort of work your way up to full colors? The bottom's less noticeable, so if you end up not liking it, you're not as "committed" as you might otherwise be. :)

jaswi

#13 Post by jaswi »

As a guy, I think it would be cute. The fact that you say you are baby faced, and look young anyhow, is really cute in a girl. Whenever I'm in clubs, I always tend to find myself going for the cuter and younger looking girls, over the 'hot' type.. Just a thought.

bip

#14 Post by bip »

I'd give color a try on the bottom too if you are unsure about it. Like others have said - that way you can ease into it. Plus, someone said it is like a haircut - that's true, only you can ditch it quicker if you don't like it and it is much less hassle! Believe me, i got my hair completely chopped off, no, i got it buzzzzzzzed over a year ago and i'm STILL letting it grow out and i figure that by the time i get my braces off it may actually be back to the long, no hassle place i want it! So, the point is, ligs are a breeze compared to hair if you end up not liking them! Think of them as a fashion accessory! :P

Anticipator

#15 Post by Anticipator »

I was a little embarassed by how bright light blue powerchains were when I first got them, but they dulled out after a little while.

Other than that, I haven't really looked back at colors, although I am debating going back to just silver, just to have a break.

I'm of the opinion that you've got braces, might as well have fun with them, people are going to notice them anyway.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months