I am scared now

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Maggsie

I am scared now

#1 Post by Maggsie »

Hello all you wonderful people

I have been reading this board EVERY day since about 2 months ago when I first started thinking about braces. So now, after having had all the usual stuff done, been to the hygenist, been to the Bank to arrange the loan!!!! the day is coming. Monday after work it is!

Thanks to all of you I have learnt a huge amount and am familiar with some of the jargon. I feel I know some of you, like KK, who seems to know everything!

So anyway, I've got all my stuff, wax, waterpik, and everything else you lot recommended but now I am starting to shake. I will have all weekend to worry and Monday during the day - I'll be totally useless at work on Monday. My boyfriend is coming with me and it'll be a long appointment. I'm getting lingual uppers and damon all metal on the bottom.

So anyway, I wanted to say hello and thank you for all the useful info you post and I've got my tips in my head about going to the loo (bathroom for all you outside the UK), lipbalm is ready etc. etc. but I'm still sooo scared.

I'll probably bombard you all with questions over the next few months.

Maggsie, newbie today,
but not for long ......

Catmom

#2 Post by Catmom »

Well, Maggsie, we can compare notes after Monday as I have my braces put on Monday morning!!! I just had the call to confirm the appointment.

You're 10 steps ahead of me, though. I haven't bought anything yet, but have a list to shop for on the weekend.

All the best, Maggsie. Hope we both have "good" appointments! :squareteeth:

Svensk Tiger

#3 Post by Svensk Tiger »

Awww, don't be scared. It is a big deal and I totally understand how you feel; I was terrified! However, you'll get through it and a few weeks from now you'll be wondering what you were so worried about, honest! :D

Katie
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007

Tin Indian

#4 Post by Tin Indian »

Maggsie, I had butterflys as big as elephants when I went in for my braces. It really turned out to be something like a none event. Nobody really cared if I had braces or not. Some people at work are now just noticing mine and I'm into my 4th month, and I see a lot of people all the time at work.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

ghostmyimag3

#5 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Dont be scared, be excited! I was and they laughed because they had never seen someone so ready for braces :)
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

jordan120

#6 Post by jordan120 »

Just had Damon 3 top and bottom (well 2 days ago..) - worst bit so far is the talking..eating is also a bit of a pain, hoping will improve though. Best of luck for Monday!

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

Having the butterflies is par for the course, maggsie. But Monday will come and go and you'll be fine.

I think you may be something of a novelty in lingual/labial braces wearers. Most of us here seem to have either full linguals or lingual uppers/ceramic lowers combos (like me, for example). But I haven't come across someone with metal damon lowers.

Be prepared for a bit of tongue abrasion with the linguals, but it does go away after a week or two. Wax and salt water rinses help heaps.

Check out the linguals board as well.

Lisa65

#8 Post by Lisa65 »

hi Maggsie, us Brits are taking over the boards here lol

I had to have the morning off work the day I got braced because I was so nervous I felt sick! But honestly once it's done you will wonder why you felt so scared.

I don't know anything about linguals other than they seem to take a bit more getting used to at first because of your tongue rubbing on them, but lionfish and others will be able to help you there.

You will be just fine - and then come back and tell us all about it!

Good luck for Monday :D

Lisa x

Lena

MY NEW BRACES

#9 Post by Lena »

Hello!! I came across this awesome web site!! I just got my braces on Thursday. I have to admit that the first few hours were a bit of a shocker as far as an altered appearance, but I haven't had any pain, and am getting quite used to them. :D [/b]

Maggsie

#10 Post by Maggsie »

You guys are the best!

thank you for your words of encouragement!!! Today is the day and I am feeling ok. I'm sure as the day progresses and 6.30 pm comes closer I'll be feeling more and more sick, but I am trying to remember what you are all saying, that it's not that bad!!!!

To everyone for whom today is the day as well - GOOD LUCK!!!!!

My boyfriend and best friend took me out for a big meal last night - before the soups/smoothies/mashed potatoe routine starts.

Thanks again everyone, I'll let you know how I get on!!!!!

Lena

Re: MY NEW BRACES

#11 Post by Lena »

Ok maybe I spoke too soon. I was feeling fine after getting my braces on last Thursday, but the last few days haven’t been too easy. I have ceramic braces, and last night after eating some soup, I was brushing my teeth and I noticed that maybe a spice got under my bracket. Is this something that I should be worried about? Do you guys know if ceramic brackets can stain? Also I noticed that a few of my top teeth are touching my brackets on my bottom teeth. Is this normal? Maybe I'm just freaking out, but I just wanna make sure that my treatment goes smoothly :-}

lionfish

Re: MY NEW BRACES

#12 Post by lionfish »

Lena wrote: Do you guys know if ceramic brackets can stain? Also I noticed that a few of my top teeth are touching my brackets on my bottom teeth. Is this normal? Maybe I'm just freaking out, but I just wanna make sure that my treatment goes smoothly :-}
Ceramic brackets do not stain (I use a toothpick to dislodge stubborn bits of food, btw), but certain colours of ligatures/modules do. Clear ligs go a dingy yellow/green after one curry!

As for the other issue, call your ortho if you're concerned.

Pirate Wench

#13 Post by Pirate Wench »

Maggsie and Catmom....I totally understand the nervousness. I was so worried about getting my braces on top back in June that I had almost made myself sick. Once I got the process started that day, I was really excited. Needless to say....there was definately tenderness in my teeth and sores in my mouth after a couple of days, but after that the top has been a breeze. Each adjustment there is a little bit of tenderness again, but it isn't for very long.

When I got my bottom braces on at the end of November I was nervous all over again.....and I knew what to expect! Now it has been just over a week and the pains have almost stopped and I don't have to use the wax on the really bad spot during the day anymore. All gets better with time!

Good luck and let us know how the appointments went!

nvcarissa

#14 Post by nvcarissa »

Omigosh! I know what you mean about nerves. I was excited to get started, but at the same time, realized that I had quite the journey ahead of me. I'm on the back end of it now, and haven't regretted my choice for a minute!

On another note: Lena --- can you please move your ticker to your signature rather than your avatar? It's squeezing all the posts to the right.
Thanks!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.