Bleeding gums, but you'll never guess why!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

srg1977

Bleeding gums, but you'll never guess why!!!

#1 Post by srg1977 »

I added this to my "our braces stories" journal, but thought I'd post it here too.

Ok, this was a new one for me, the ortho's office, and i've never read anything about it on here:

There was one spot between the 2nd premolar and the first molar on the upper left side where the gum kept getting swelled up and would start bleeding if I touched it. I figured that there was just food stuck there and just flossed the heck out of it for a few days, but it just kept getting worse. Well, I was brushing at lunch, and I see something BLUE wedged in between the teeth.

I get in to see the ortho this afternoon, and it was a SPACER! Note: I had spacers 6 months ago!!!

The assistant's theory was that when I had the spacers in, it moved up and out of sight and when I couldn't see it, assumed that it had fallen out and then put a replacement one in. And when they removed the spacers, they took out the replacement, but didn't know that the original was still there. And so it took this long for the gums to reject the foreign object and move it out.

I feel pretty lucky that it didn't cause other problems like an infection!

So, lessons learned:

- I guess don't assume that just becuase you can't see a spacer don't automatically assume that it fell out.

- If things start bleeding and swelling up suddenly, there's a problem that needs to be looked at. Always go in to get it checked out. But on the other hand, if the assistant hadn't been able to see the blue, the last thing she would have thought the problem would have been was a spacer. Oh well.

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

oh my goodness, I'd never have imagined that would be possible! As you say what a relief it didn't cause more serious problems.

Hope your gum soon feels better.

ngbraces

#3 Post by ngbraces »

srg1977

Unbelievable!! Your story is one of a kind....Glad it was detected eventually. Like I think, this board is very informative. Thanks for sharing with us. Wish you well.

*boom!*

#4 Post by *boom!* »

Oh, wow! That must have hurt since they hurt when they are where they're supposed to be.

Kat

#5 Post by Kat »

Ya know, I hate to say it buit Don't you see it everywhere now. People don't take the time to do a total check to see if anything is wrong. What ever happened to service?
That's just crap work long and short.
Over looking stuff pisses me off because of beinf in a hurry or just plain not paying attention.

srg1977

#6 Post by srg1977 »

If I had been in pain and been told that there was nothing wrong, I might be a little bitter.

But I seriously didn't feel any pain or think anything was wrong until about 4-5 days before I made the ortho appt, so I certainly don't blame any of the assistants who worked on me. The only way they could have known about the rouge elastic was if an x-ray had been taken, and since I didn't feel anything wrong, there was no reason to do that.

So i'm totally comfortable chalking this up to just a freaky thing. My relationship with the ortho (and all of the assistants) has been very good, and this doesn't change that. Heck, they got me an appointment 2 hours after I called and thought that something might be wrong.

If this had just been one more thing in a pattern of bad things happening, than I might think differently. But luckily, it's not.