Elastics and Eating

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tklein22000

Elastics and Eating

#1 Post by tklein22000 »

Hello,

I am wondering if eating with elastics in is going well. Who of you does not take out the elastics for eating? And what food do you generally eat with elastics in?

Bye

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Yep, I eat with elastics in place. I have four of them: 2 in a box formation across my premolars, and 2 in a triangle formation from top canine to bottom canine/first premolar.

I eat everything I ate before, but find that getting a dessertspoon into my mouth is a bit awkward at the moment (not enough space) so I use a fork or teaspoon instread!

I've also eaten a fair few elastics.....

nvcarissa

#3 Post by nvcarissa »

My ortho told me I could try to eat with elastics in, but it wasn't necessary. I tried, ate too many of them, and gave up on eating with them in.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I've only got one elastic at the moment and my ortho said I could take it out to eat if I wanted, but because it's not a very strong one and it's right at the back, I just leave it in.

Jillianleab

#5 Post by Jillianleab »

I was told to leave mine in when eating. I wear one on each side in a triangle formation, and so far have been pretty lucky about them not popping off when eating, but sometimes one of the three points will come off. I guess since they are hooked in three places it makes it harder for them to come all the way off. I take them out when eating things I have to bite into, like pizza, sandwiches, burgers, that sort of thing. Funny enough, I have to take them out to eat soup because the darn spoon won't fit in my mouth!!!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

Granola

#6 Post by Granola »

I was told I could take mine out when I eat and brush. I did try a few times to eat with them in, but they broke every single time I tried it.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

Jillianleab wrote: Funny enough, I have to take them out to eat soup because the darn spoon won't fit in my mouth!!!
Tell me about it! I use a teaspoon (pathetic, I know).

JumpTheDitch

#8 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I was told to wear mine as much as possible and to only take them out for eating and brushing. I admit to being a bit forgetful about putting them back in straightaway but generally wear them most of the time.

Mine's a fairly easy set-up (top 2nd molars to bottom canines). I've eaten a few times with them in but I find food gets trapped which drives me crazy, and it's nigh on impossible to get it out without the elastic slipping off.

Once I forgot to take them out before dinner eating out. Embarrassingly, while I tried to take them out discreetly, one popped off and landed on my boyfriend's dinner plate! :oops:
I was mortified until I realised that it could have been worse; it could have landed on someone else's dinnerplate! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Chris

#9 Post by Chris »

I take mine out every time I eat. Makes me eat less, hence, I've lost weight. Too much trouble brushing teeth and replacing them afterwards.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

tklein22000

#10 Post by tklein22000 »

JumpTheDitch wrote: Once I forgot to take them out before dinner eating out. Embarrassingly, while I tried to take them out discreetly, one popped off and landed on my boyfriend's dinner plate! :oops:
I was mortified until I realised that it could have been worse; it could have landed on someone else's dinnerplate! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Oh that sounds pretty funny! You could be happy that the elastic only slipped at your boyfrieds;s plate and that this did not happend at a formal dinner with your boss or your colleagues.

Does someone also have that kind of funny stories happened with elastics?

Svensk Tiger

#11 Post by Svensk Tiger »

My ortho didn't actually specify so I started off trying to eat with them in but soon that that opening my mouth wide enough to actually get any food in results in them snapping and pinging against my tongue/gums - painful! I now take them out to eat.
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007

ame_malia

#12 Post by ame_malia »

I actually have just came back from my ortho appointment; and I just got elastics for the first time! I was going to ask a question on this very same topic, but here it is already, yay! Mine simply go from a top molar to a bottom molar. I haven't tried eating yet, but I have a feeling I will have to take smaller bites. Does it hurt much when they snap?

Svensk Tiger

#13 Post by Svensk Tiger »

Does it hurt much when they snap?
It's not exactly the worst pain ever but it's not nice. I think it's partly the element of surprise that does it. It's very similar feeling to having a rubber band flicked hard against your skin.
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007