Is this normal?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tamsteve

Is this normal?

#1 Post by tamsteve »

Hello all I hope everybody had a wonderful Turkey day....I did even though i had an adjustment two days before! I have a question for ya'll, Is it normal for your teeth to hurt like a toothache?? I have a tooth or it may be more then one, on the left bottom that when i drink anything hot or cold it kills me!! I don't see a cavity and i just went to get a cleaning about 2 wks ago and they said everything looked fine. I have been putting an ice pack on it...it helps a little. It even hurts for no apparent reason sometimes...but, the throbbing is driveing me crazy when it acts up!! This is the first time i have had this kind of pain with the braces....maybe i should call the dentist monday morning....but, then again my bottom teeth have really moved this last month!! I will post pictures cause it is amazing.....please help me out if you can...thanks

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Hi tamsteve

I had a similar thing a week ago. My gum was really throbbing badly when I drank hot drinks then it also started happening with cold drinks!

To cut a long story short I went to the dentist, after much heavy prodding of my teeth, putting the cold air thinggy on the area and looking at the x-rays she announced that my teeth were fine. She told me that I was probably brushing too much since I got the brace and had irritated my gum. (I had been brushing at least 4 times daily.) She told me to ease up on the brushing regime and just make sure that they had a really good cleaning before I went to bed and to be gentle with my gums and use sensodyne toothpaste.

I've followed her advice and the pain has subsided a lot, nearly disappeared. I hope the solution is as simple for you. I was dreading the thought of needing a deep filling.

Great that your teeth are moving a lot, my top teeth have moved a lot but I struggle to see very much change on the bottom set (which for me are the most crowded).

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)