Question to all the elastic wearers

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jillianleab

Question to all the elastic wearers

#1 Post by Jillianleab »

I have an appointment with my ortho on the 11th, so I'll ask this when I go in, but I wanted to see what everyone here had to say.

I've been in elastics for a few months, and they have done wonders for me. I'm wondering if I will have them for the remainder of my treatment, or once they've done their job, am I set free? So to everyone who has elastics, or has had elastics, what is/was the plan? I have probably another 10-12 months left and I REALLY don't want to have to put up with these things for that long. I hate the way they look when I talk; they are in triangles and it make me look like I have huge gobs of spit or fangs or something! So someone, please tell me there's a chance I won't have to wear them until the end!!!

Thanks!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

Sometimes you get different configurations throughtout treatment.
I have had pauses where I wasn't wearing any elastics then I got a new configuration. I'm "sentenced" now until the braces come off as there is not much left to do than to fine tune my bite and only elastics can do that. :roll: Hang in there. At least you know they work! :D

I know what you mean about how they look when you talk.
I've had people stare in my mouth when I smile probably thinking
"does she know she has spaghetti noodles caught in her mouth"?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

I had the triangles too. I had them at the end of my treatment though so I can't tell you if you will need to keep them. I had them for two months and they did their work. Now the braces are coming off
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I've had elastics for 4 months, including the "gob of spit" formation you have, jilleanleab. The plan is for them to close my bite and they've done a wonderful job so far. I think I'm stuck with the triangle formation for the time being, but hope that the box may go to nights only from tomorrow when I have my next adjustment. It was mentioned at my last adjustment and it's not something I'd forget! As to what happens elastics wise during the remainder of treatment (plus minus 8 months to go, fingers crossed) - I have no idea.

As for the appearance of them, yeah I know they can look a bit daft to the unknowing viewer, but I just don't worry about it anymore.

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

. I think also that elastics are not used until you're in a pretty stiff rectangular wire.
Not always the case. My ortho put on a lighter wire on top recently because of two teeth that had been aching for many months. The aching went away within a few days. But I have been in elastics and the arch is moving even with the lighter wire. Perhaps he will change the wire next time since my teeth settled down, either way, the elastics are on, and its working.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Jillianleab

#6 Post by Jillianleab »

Hmm... sounds like another case of "everyone is different"! I'm just keeping my fingers and toes crossed that I won't have to wear them much longer because my overjet is totally gone, and my bite has closed except for a tiny tiny tiny amount on one side. And actually, the tooth below it is rotated, so it might be in the right place, but you can't tell because of the wonky tooth below it... I have two teeth that are still a little twisted on my lowers, and I think the elastics are preventing them from moving to their proper places. I have a powerchain, which has helped a little, but since one of the triangle points is attached to the twisty teeth, I think it is pulling it in the other direction. If that is the case, maybe I will get a break from the elastics until those teeth get in their proper places. Or, I suppose I could end up with a different configuration, I didn't even think about that. Guess I will find out on the 11th!

Thanks everyone!
~jlb~

Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

NotBob1

#7 Post by NotBob1 »

It is totally a case of everyone is different. I ended up with elastics almost right away and am tapering off of them now. I may be in for more later....I just don't know. I think I had a pretty bad one considering it was to correct a midline issue. It went right from the topo right to the bottom left. I had to get used to people staring at my mouth until they realized I had braces! There is no hiding that one!
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

JumpTheDitch

#8 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I've only had mine since last adjustment, jillianleab, so I'm not exactly an expert. Mine are for helping my upper molars move forward to help close extraction gaps.
Upper #7's to lower canines; nice and easy and fairly unobtrusive.

My ortho did say when I got them that he couldn't say how long I would have them for, it would be a case of assessing at each adjustment whether I would need them for the next month or so or not. So far the extraction gap on one side has closed quite a bit (finally!) but the other side stubbornly has refused to move much :evil:.

I believe I also get to look forward to them for aligning my midline @ some point as well.

Short answer : even my ortho didn't know!

Good luck ! :thumbsup:

[KR]Cube

#9 Post by [KR]Cube »

Wow, am I glad I found this forum! And I'm so darn glad to have read that having elastics put on usually means that you're nearing your time with fixed braces :D
I'm having elastics put on tomorrow, and I'm kinda worried... do they hurt? I'm sure they'll be a bit uncomfortable with the all pulling/tugging they do, is it just like getting your wires tightened? I think I'm more nervous about this than anything! :( :shock:
Cube~

Jillianleab

#10 Post by Jillianleab »

[KR], elastics do not always mean you are at the end of treatment, a few people on here have had them since day 1. I'm still probably 8-12 months from being done, I don't consider that the end!

As far as the pain goes, it will depend on the strength and configuration. I have heavy elastics in a triangle formation, and for the first few days they made my jaw pretty sore. I'd say a wire change is worse because it puts pressure on all of your teeth, whereas the elastics only on a few. You'll be fine, don't worry!
~jlb~

Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

SDFD TSchott

#11 Post by SDFD TSchott »

SDFD TSchott sits staring blatantly at computer screen pondering if elastics is in his future.

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

SDFD TSchott

#12 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Denise wrote:Give me elastics, but PLEASE don't give me a headgear!!!! So sorry Headgear Joe!
lol that is exactly what I'm saying, give me elastics but don't give me headgear!

I work in an enviroment that will not allow me the use of headgear while on duty i.e. *FIREFIGHTING*

SDFD TSchott

SDFD TSchott

#13 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Denise wrote:Did you read Travdude's post? Yikes! :shock:

What is a head gear for? I read on the site that in adults it is for closing the gaps of extracted teeth. Are there any other occasions? I had my extractions long ago before my first go round with braces. Maybe I am safe.

You might have to have a custom fire helmet made for your headgear Tim! 8)
:? What site did you read that from?

SDFD TSchott

SDFD TSchott

#14 Post by SDFD TSchott »

:? http://www.archwired.com/headgear.htm :?

Now I will ask for the ortho to explain to me what the rest of my treatment phase will be cause I'm not woundernig what will be done. I just read the short portion about where you got your information.

"Headgear is also used in adults, but for a different reason. A typical scenario is a case where some teeth are extracted, and front teeth are being retracted (pulled backward). When extraction spaces are being closed, the teeth behind the extraction space slide forward and the teeth in front of the space slide backward. In some situations, to maintain the bite, the orthodontist will not want the back teeth to come forward. The headgear serves to hold them back (maintain anchorage). Orthodontists will want those patients to wear the headgear as much as they can. Realistically for most adults this might only be 8-10 hours per day, but the more the better; even 24 hours would be acceptable."

SDFD TSchott

kimberleena

im in phase iv

#15 Post by kimberleena »

But I feel like i've been there for MONTHS. Been in braces for almost 2.5 years, I can't wait for elastics, since I know that is going to be the last phase!!