Finally Braced!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

phenyx

Finally Braced!

#1 Post by phenyx »

After all the delays and rescheduled appointments I got my braces without problems this morning. I didn't think my bottom teeth needed any straightening but witht he brackets on they look obviously crooked and the wire waves up and down like water on the ocean.

So far, they don't feel nearly as bad as I thought they would. I haven't formed any hotspots on my lips or cheeks yet. My bottom teeth are a touch sore and sensitive to hot and cold, but it's not bad enough to require tylenol at this point.

The damon brackets are pretty cool. I held a mirror up while my archwire was being placed and it was just pinch pinch pinch all the way around and the little trap doors were closed and the wire was in place. It's a pretty flexible wimpy wire right now but they tell me it'll get stronger.

I still have my bite plate. Ortho says he's going to try and take it out at my first adjustment which isn't until February.

The whole "ugly betty" thing just makes me depressed and self-conscious.

ghostmyimag3

#2 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Congratulations.
My teeth looked even more crooked when i had my braces put on 4 weeks ago also. But now they've improved alot and people are noticing its really nice but at the sametime you wonder what they saw and thought before hand.
The first week was rough for me because i was trying to eat things like rice krispies and pot pies because the whole soft diet thing wasn't getting it. I was staying hungry.
I dont have a bite plate so i can't say i know what that is like, but the first month will fly by so fast you wont know it.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

Okay.... but do you LOOK like a Bady girl :lol:

Seriously did he/she say anything about bracket choice and lisp? Mine doesn't think it matters a speech therapist says it might. I'm confused and am tired of talking like Elmer Fudd.

To hear you might ditch the Bite plate is great news. I expect to have mine for at least a year (man I slowed down when I started to type that).

Congrats and take lots of pictures to see your progress!

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

phenyx

#4 Post by phenyx »

LOL! My hair's reddish brown rather than gold, but I almost had a "Marcia Brady moment" when I first saw the finished braces!

As for the lisp, I haven't noticed any additional speech issues since I got the braces this morning. The lisp might be a little more pronounced now but nothing like it was when I first got the bite plate. My kids loved it because for the first 2 weeks or so I could do a dead-on impression of Sylvester the Cat!

"Thhhhhhhhufffferin' Thhhhhhhhhucotash!"

Sweet L

#5 Post by Sweet L »

Hi phenyx!

Congrats!!!! and remember the salt water rinses!!!!

:thumbsup:

iBorg

#6 Post by iBorg »

Mine is getting the better part of me. When I go to the store or order at a restaurant I have to repeat myself 40% of the time. I teach college and have got to the point I leave it in for one on one discussion but remove it when I lecture. My students say its not that noticeable of course it’s near finals time and that's great brown nosing.

If anything it seems to be getting worst. I sent my ortho an email saying that I'm not self-conscious about the braces but am very self-conscious of the lisp.

Have a great night and be prepared for the day after being a bit more tender.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

You fair crack me up, phenyxth!

My first bottom wire looked like it was waving all over the place too. And I'd always thought my lowers were pretty straight.

Eleni

Re: Finally Braced!

#8 Post by Eleni »

First, congratulations!
It's a pretty flexible wimpy wire right now but they tell me it'll get stronger.
It's probably too late in the night for me, but when I read this line I had an image of Arnold Schwarzenegger yelling at your archwired, sorta like this: "What's the matter you wimpy wire? You're too girly wimpy, aren't you? You're a choir boy compared to me! A choir boy!..... I'll be back!"

The whole "ugly betty" thing just makes me depressed and self-conscious.
What chou talking about, phenyx? Come Halloween next year you are going to have the most hooked up costume. All you need is bangs, a pancho and some really bad clothes and you are all set.

On a serious note, the self-conscious thing lessens with time - really. I can't believe I waited so long to get colored ligs, and lost all that opportunity to have fun with them. Just think of the braces as accessories on loner, and play them up while you can.

Best of luck with speedy progress.
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

lionfish

#9 Post by lionfish »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

vivi21

#10 Post by vivi21 »

Congrats!! :banana: :-9