Decision Time!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Skylark

Decision Time!

#1 Post by Skylark »

Hey folks,

I was on here about a month ago trying to decide between invisalign (which would improve my smile) and ceramic uppers (which would improve smile and my crooked bite.)

My appointment for the moulds is tomorrow at 9am and while I think I've realised that I might as well get the ceramics and get them perfect (as most of you on here suggested), I am completely dreading going back into braces.

I hated having them as a teenager and also, because my smile isn't actually that crooked (only one tooth is up higher than the rest), people I've mentioned it to seem to think I'm mad, and don't really understand that part of the reason is to fix a crooked bite.

Luckily I'll only have to have them for 6 months - which I know isn't a long sentence compared to a lot of you, but at the moment I'm really daunted by people staring at my mouth all the time and the effect this will have on my confidence (I have a big smile so they'll show).

I guess I just need some reassurance that I'm making the right decision and this will be worth it! Someone said the waiting is the worst - and I'll still have to wait to actually get the braces put on. It's on my mind all the time so I guess I just need a bit of perspective!

This site is a lifesaver - without it I wouldn't even have considered braces.

Thanks x

PS. If you're interested, they look like this at the mo.... (hope this works)
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p221 ... a085-1.jpg

Sweet L

#2 Post by Sweet L »

Hi Skylark!

Good luck tomorrow!!
Meryaten: if you're unhappy with your teeth as they are, and can afford to get them sorted, then go for it!!
:-88 Go for it :-88

:thumbsup:

wonderstuf

#3 Post by wonderstuf »

Congratulations! The time will go by really fast.

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

A few words of encouragement. I'm not sure when you first had braces. My first experience with them was in the late 70's. They are much easier to live with now. Either its because I want them and their ability to improve my smile and bit or the technology is a whole lot better. I guess its a bit of both. No where near the pain as the first round.

As for ceramic being noticeable, if someone is that close to you to know, be sure to introduce yourself.

Six months for a better result? Go for it. They'll be off by summer.

Good luck and here's to great sucess.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

Six months will absolutely fly. And I agree with the others - go the extra yards to get the more reliable outcome.

overseasmel

#6 Post by overseasmel »

People barely notice ceramics (I have them on top, and also have a really big smile), so I think you'll find braces aren't as bad as they are in your memory. On the other hand, you will LOVE having a perfect set of teeth and 6 months will just flyyyyyy by.

Best wishes for tomorrow :D

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

vivi21

#7 Post by vivi21 »

congrats skylark good luck :banana: :BigTeethGrin:

Skylark

#8 Post by Skylark »

Ok folks, I'm going for it! The day of sentencing is Jan 9th so I have a month to get used to the idea. Still not sure I can cope with ceramics but it's nice to hear people say they're not that obvious - especially Overseasmel with your big smile! And he did promise me a white wire which makes me feel a bit better.....

Hopefully a good decision?

Thanks very much for all your support! x

cowlypso

#9 Post by cowlypso »

Hey, congrats! I think you'll be happy with your choice in the long run. No lingering doubts about whether you should have just gone all the way.

And so what if people can't see the bite issues and therefore ask why you got braces? Just tell them that you are doing it to fix your bite. It's only going to be friends or people you see a lot that even might ask you. I've already been asked by a few people why I'm planning on it, since they don't think my teeth are that bad.

I know I saw a post on here not too long ago about the white wires. Apparently, they white is a coating and has a tendency to flake off after a few weeks. You might do a search on that. It seems like it's personal preference, whether people like the white wires or not. But I wanted to at least give you a heads-up on that.

I'm getting braced around the same time. Two-step process, Jan 4 and 11.

Skylark

#10 Post by Skylark »

Hi Cowlypso -so you're playing the waiting game like me! Apparently it gets better once they're on!

I've also heard that the white wire tends to chip but I'm opting for that at least at first as I'd rather a white wire with tiny bits of metal showing than a whole metal one! I'll hopefully get used to it and change to a metal wire as treatment progresses.

What kind are you having? Good luck with yours - we'd better start doing the salt water rinses that are so popular on this site!

Though I think it's the right decision I'm still dreading people staring at my mouth all the time - I guess I'll get used to it......

x