This Thursday

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pfb

This Thursday

#1 Post by pfb »

Three more days until brackets... I've posted before, but here is the basic deal.

I'm 40, have had baby incisor issues (and one baby molar, removed last week) need braces to 1) align front teeth and 2) make room for 2 or 3 implants. Hopefully it won't take forever, I've been told 12 months - the front teeth barely need to move, a few millimeters one way.

Anyway, I was wondering about cleaning - should I invest in a waterpik - should I brush more than normal? Any other precautions? I'm getting ceramic for aestethic purposes, any definitive opinions on whether that prolongs the process?

Thursday afternoon braces (just top) - Will I be ok for the weekend or will I want lots of rest?

Any other things I should be concerned about?

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

welcome to the forum!

I got a waterpik and don't know what I would have done without it. I highly recommend it.

I brush more than before. Sometimes I brush after every meal and sometimes I just use the waterpik after lunch and don't bother brushing. Be careful about brushing too much you can wear off your gums (literally).

If you have the money you might want to invest in a sonicare. It does a great job and times the brushing. I feel that it protected the teeth because the brush does the brushing not you so you can accidently get too rough.

You may be a little more tired than usual but I wouldn't say you have to sit around all weekend. You might be in mild pain but I would recommend going about your business, otherwise you will be totally focused on what is going on in your mouth instead of your life. It is a thing you don' t want to get in the habit of.

Stock up on wax - it will be your friend for the first 2-4 weeks.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

SDFD TSchott

Re: This Thursday

#3 Post by SDFD TSchott »

pfb wrote:Anyway, I was wondering about cleaning - should I invest in a waterpik - should I brush more than normal?
Cleaning As far as cleaning goes, I would think about investing in a waterpik as its done wonders for myself and I'm sure it has done wonders for lots of members here on the forums.

Brushing When I'm at home or in the office I usually brush my teeth right after I have had a meal or snack I know that it might be a little excessive but I like to keep clean teeth especially that are hiding behind bars "JAIL" As for being out in public I just take a few swigs of water in the bathroom "BOTTLE WATER I BRING INTO RESTURAUNT" and I just try to get as much of the food out from behind the bars "JAIL" then when I get back to the office or home I brush my teeth so I don't think there is any problem with how often you brush your teeth I know people are different and have there own opinions.

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

ghostmyimag3

#4 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

You'll be fine the first day, 2nd day your gonna probably feel it, take some pain killers. The weekend you should be fine, I got mine on a Wednesday, Thursday i didn't want to do anything, Friday i was out and about.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

SDFD TSchott

#5 Post by SDFD TSchott »

jcdamon3 wrote:welcome to the forum!

If you have the money you might want to invest in a sonicare. It does a great job and times the brushing. I feel that it protected the teeth because the brush does the brushing not you so you can accidently get too rough.
SONICARE With the sonicare as you had said jsdamon3 it has the timer, and also it has a pressure sensor so that you are not brushing your teeth to hard that is the best toothbrush I have spent money on!

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

pfb

#6 Post by pfb »

Thanks guys - I'll let you know how it goes thursday. And I'll check amazon and ebay out right now for sonicares.

I'm a little less nervous now than I have been recently, just kind of strapping myself in and hoping for the best. I'm still unsure about the specific treatment plan that has been proposed - (bc I have baby tooth spaces there are a lot of options when it comes to exactly where we could move the teeth). The plan is to move two molars together (over the space left by the baby molar extraction) while they align the front teeth - problem is that it will take probably twice the time to move the molars as far as they want, and very little time to align the front teeth. So I will have braces visible for months likely that are moving teeth that no one will ever see. I wanted them to just throw a bridge or even figure out how to get an implant in that spot, but they are telling me that there won't be enough room for the other implants.

I'm no expert, but I know my mouth. I am very confident that there will be more than enough room (baby incisor spaces PLUS a front tooth gap).

I'm having this done at BU dental school which has its pros and cons (mostly pros). I like my prostho resident alot, but the ortho - nice but uncommunicative.

Anyway, just journaling right now, but I still hold out hope that they will realize that they can do it the way I think they can. I'm not stupid, so if they just explain to me in plain english why they have to do it this way, I'll be satisfied, but so far, all I get is "because" when I ask.

I wish I could get an independent opinion - from someone here or another ortho. Otoh, I have put my trust in this group, and it is early on...

Any advice?

pfb

#7 Post by pfb »

Thanks guys - I'll let you know how it goes thursday. And I'll check amazon and ebay out right now for sonicares.

I'm a little less nervous now than I have been recently, just kind of strapping myself in and hoping for the best. I'm still unsure about the specific treatment plan that has been proposed - (bc I have baby tooth spaces there are a lot of options when it comes to exactly where we could move the teeth). The plan is to move two molars together (over the space left by the baby molar extraction) while they align the front teeth - problem is that it will take probably twice the time to move the molars as far as they want, and very little time to align the front teeth. So I will have braces visible for months likely that are moving teeth that no one will ever see. I wanted them to just throw a bridge or even figure out how to get an implant in that spot, but they are telling me that there won't be enough room for the other implants.

I'm no expert, but I know my mouth. I am very confident that there will be more than enough room (baby incisor spaces PLUS a front tooth gap).

I'm having this done at BU dental school which has its pros and cons (mostly pros). I like my prostho resident alot, but the ortho - nice but uncommunicative.

Anyway, just journaling right now, but I still hold out hope that they will realize that they can do it the way I think they can. I'm not stupid, so if they just explain to me in plain english why they have to do it this way, I'll be satisfied, but so far, all I get is "because" when I ask.

I wish I could get an independent opinion - from someone here or another ortho. Otoh, I have put my trust in this group, and it is early on...

Any advice?

vivi21

#8 Post by vivi21 »

i also have a water pik & i don't know what i will do if i din't have that. :( good luck :banana: