Does your Jaw MOVE?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

Does your Jaw MOVE?

#1 Post by iBorg »

Today I guest taught about six hours of class with a forty-minute break. When I got done and put my bite plate back in, I noticed that my lower jaw had moved forward. My 4 mm overbite was now an UNDERBITE on one side.

I actually had difficulty closing my mouth as two teeth on my left side interfered with each other. Is this normal or is this one of the reasons my ortho described my case as difficult. (I actually think she might tell all her patients that to justify her fee. High but so far well worth it.)

Thanks,

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Maggsie

#2 Post by Maggsie »

Mike,

I noticed nobody replied to your post. Maybe nobody has had a similar problem???????? Now you're not only a difficult case but also unique??? Maybe you'll make ortho history???? I have to say that I admire you for being able to speak for so long. It hurts to talk!!!! Poor you! I'm new to all this, but I do like your picture you've used. Makes me smile. Anyway, have a nice weekend and I hope someone provides insight into your moving jaw!

Maggsie

smile2006

#3 Post by smile2006 »

I had upper and lower jaw surgery in July and I'm now in the post-surgery orthodontic phase. Although my situation is not directly similar to you, I have been amazed lately over how one day my bit feels comfortable and a day or two later things have shifted enough in my teeth to make certain teeth hit in weird ways. In my case, it's not jaw movement but teeth movement. It doesn't seem like your jaw could move to produce and underbite but maybe your teeth did. Seems very quick though over a course of several hours. Did you ask your ortho, i'd be curious to see what he/she says??????

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

I have an appointment on Monday to have work done on my bite plate. My current one is starting to fall out when I'm talking. If I try to use a straw it will fall completley out. During that appointment I'm going to bring it up. The really weird thing is I took a nap yesterday afternoon and my overbite was back. This morning I taught another class and while I don't have the underbite I had yesterday afternoon, my left side teeth are now hitting. My right side is still a bit of an overbite.

My ortho did ask during the intial consult if I had a habit of sliding my lower jaw forward. I was unaware of doing it but have noticed it some with braces. What I'm amazed at is how talking is causing me to move things around.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

Interesting.

Just to let you know. I tend to push my lower jaw forward ALOT. When the ortho would look at my bite he had to make me relax my jaw, wiggle it around and push it back for me. Now here is the interesting thing. I notice during the day with my new essix retainer that I can't bite down with it in at all because only the back teeth are hitting. Last night I slept really, really well and I realized in the morning that my bite with my essix retainer was fine, in fact perfect. So in the middle of the night, while sleeping well, I finally relaxed my jaw.

My bite now with my braces off is really great but I do find that to me it seems my lower jaw has to move back to bite down. I believe that this is because I am in this weird habit of jutting my jaw forward.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Brunoise

The old jaw trick

#6 Post by Brunoise »

My ortho told me in the consult that it is quite common for us overbite folks to have "learned" to move our jaw into its "correct" position with our front teeth when we talk so that we can actually pronounce things. If I try to talk with my jaw where my teeth are in a natural bite I sound like an idiot. I sound all muddled.

Because I have already moved my jaw forward to speak one of the orthos I saw suggested having surgery to move it there permanently vs. moving only the teeth in braces. However, I don't really like how my face looks when I move my jaw except from the front. Not to mention, my insurance won't pay for that type of surgery.

Just my two cents----this may not be what is happening with you at all. I have been consciously trying to not move my jaw as I don't think moving my jaw with braces would be the right thing to do? Does any of that make sense? :?

Chris

#7 Post by Chris »

Ah yes, I have the "slide"..the lower jaw moving forward to reach my top teeth.

The relaxed bite can be found by putting your tongue as far back on the roof of your mouth as possible and then bite down.

My ortho has been trying to get this bite with elastics...its been tough. I wake up at night with my 2nd molars banging into each other. Obviously, my relaxed bite.

I know its not the teeth moving because it can change very quickly. I wonder if its a hypermobile TMJ. This is very difficult for the ortho to work with, especially if your bite changes so frequently.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Dramagyrl

#8 Post by Dramagyrl »

I've had some jaw issues too.

Apparently I held mine at an angle, which is why the dentist thought I needed jaw surgery initially.

Anyway, five months into braces and I have a more pronounced jawline and chin, and my bite sits much straighter. Still a bit of work to go, but noticeable changes and most people who haven't seen me in months actually make comment about it. Of course, it's all for the better :)